All Topics / General Property / Asbestos Questions

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Okay after being absent from this forum for a while now- I’m back and happy to answer any and all questions on asbestos.

Asbestos Audits Queensland | Asbestos Audits Queensland
    https://asbestosaudits.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Any asbestos questions ask me.

arkm Tony
    Participant
    @arkm-tony

Are our carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) strengthening reinforcements going to be the next asbestos upon building demolition?

Redding carpet Cleaners

Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Hello Tony,

I’ll investigate this a bit more and get back to you. My initial thoughts would be no as its not sprayed or usually friable, however it probably will pose a hazard similar to synthetic mineral fibre and glass fibre materials. But as I said I will investigate some more. Thanks for the query.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of joanadavidsonjoanadavidson
    Participant
    @joanadavidson

Hello! When does an asbestos-containing material become dangerous?

Greetings!

Joana

Participant
    @aaq

Hi Joana

Asbestos containing material is rated for risk on a few things but basically if it can crumble between your fingers and is in your face that’s when its a significant risk. So a painted and sealed asbestos cement sheet is not a problem unless  you drill it and have your face unprotected near it. But something like pipe lagging can be hazardous in place as its surface can be dry and worn.  So to assess the risk  firstly is it friable or non friable ( can you crush it with your fingers to powder)?, is it painted or sealed? is it exposed to weather or enclosed inside, how enclosed is it in regards to breathing spaces all those things have bearing on the risk. But basically don’t create or release  asbestos fibres from it and don’t breathe them in. Everybody is now used to masks and you can get a basic P2 asbestos mask from a hardware store which also brings down the risk.

Let me know if that answers you question or if you have a specific ACM in mind you want to talk about. Thanks
    <div id=”TMPwmHiddenDiv”></div>

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @aaq

Hi Tony,

went and did a bit more study on carbon fibre and there are no studies or results yet of long term health risks for exposure to respirable carbon fibres. Its too new a material, currently airborne dust monitoring is being done on some sites and measured to similar scales as synthetic mineral fibres and asbestos fibres but there is not enough information available yet about longer term reaction of the body and lungs to these fibres to know what effect they will have on the bodies cells. So you may be right long term this may be another material that causes adverse effects in humans. Asbestos replacements and substitutes such as synthetic mineral fibre, glass fibre and kaolinite fibre all were thought to be safe but all of those materials have been found to have adverse long term side effects in large enough concentrations and longer term exposures. So sorry I can’t give you a definitive answer so mask up and follow safe procedures if you have to deal with it just like it was asbestos or fibreglass.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of DemmytrioDemmytrio
    Participant
    @demmycollection

Just in time!

Can I collect my own samples and remove asbestos myself?

Deck Cleanig

Demmytrio
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of sandhyasandhya
    Participant
    @sandhya

Hi Tony

Thank you for initiating this thread and taking the time to respond to questions. Following on from your response to Joanna,  if there is a house that is on sale, built in 70s, has asbestos sheet in the wall, and the agent says, few holes in the wall that need to be fixed…does it mean that it is currently in a hazardous state?

Profile photo of JessieJJessieJ
    Participant
    @jessiej

How does asbestos affect the environment?

Regards,

Jessie

Participant
    @aaq

Hello Sandhya

Thanks for the post about the house – you will need to see the holes- Real estate agents tend to understate the problem- if it is just a couple of small holes then they just need sealing or patching. If its big holes with sheeting debris this may be a bigger problem. All houses built in the 1970s in Australia will have some type of asbestos in them – unless its been specifically removed its what builders used. If its asbestos cement sheeting then you need to keep damaging it for it to keep releasing asbestos fibres- like sanding or drilling. There would have been a fibre release when the damage was done but generally asbestos cement sheet doesn’t keep giving off asbestos unless its being further broken up – like hail & wind to roof or fencing. Asbestos is another part of real estate where you manage the risk, but it can also offer opportunity if everyone else is scared off.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @aaq

Hello Sandhya

Thanks for the post about the house – you will need to see the holes- Real estate agents tend to understate the problem- if it is just a couple of small holes then they just need sealing or patching. If its big holes with sheeting debris this may be a bigger problem. All houses built in the 1970s in Australia will have some type of asbestos in them – unless its been specifically removed its what builders used. If its asbestos cement sheeting then you need to keep damaging it for it to keep releasing asbestos fibres- like sanding or drilling. There would have been a fibre release when the damage was done but generally asbestos cement sheet doesn’t keep giving off asbestos unless its being further broken up – like hail & wind to roof or fencing. Asbestos is another part of real estate where you manage the risk, but it can also offer opportunity if everyone else is scared off.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sandhya

Thank you Tony. Noted your response. In what ways would you say it is an opportunity? Unless one were in asbestos audit/removal such as yourself (and therefore have the expertise to not be scared by the A word:) I would say it is a scary one…so when you have a moment, could you please elaborate on the opportunity side. Very happy to call, but I am conscious of your time. So even a relevant video link is sufficient. Thanks again.

Profile photo of DemmytrioDemmytrio
    Participant
    @demmycollection

A follow up on my question, please :)

Demmy

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Demmytrio Demmytrio.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Demmytrio Demmytrio.

Demmytrio
    Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @aaq

Hi sandhya, I meant like any other problem  with a house for example with cracked walls which needed stabilising or ants needing treatment. Many people like yourself are scared off by a house with an asbestos problem- even identifying it could mean securing a discount at purchase or knowing someone like a licenced asbestos removalist who can sort the problem out quickly and easily.  Since 2019 the Australian tax office has been offering tax deductions for Asbestos Removal ( check with your accountant) Whats the mantra- buy a house with a problem and solve it!

That’s all I meant- especially since most people see it as too hard or too scary- yet in NZ you also have to test for mould and drug labs and that,s mandatory! Hope that helps.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @aaq

Hi demmy, sorry I didnt reply sooner there was some IT problem with me directly replying. Yes you can take your own samples in a residential property providing you follow the safety precautions on how to take it. Also in most states you can remove up to 10 sq metres of non friable asbestos. In Canberra you aren’t allowed to do anything without an Asbestos Licence because of the “Mr Fluffy” fiasco. In Victoria you have also a time limit so you don’t remove 10 sq metres one day and 10 the next and so on…. The problem with doing it yourself is disposal – you can’t just take it to the tip as its hazardous waste and depending on the state and the amount you may need a hazardous material transport licence as well! Go to the site below to find you appropriate State rules and who to contact, remember residential asbestos rules are different to Commercial property asbestos rules.

Thanks

https://www.asbestossafety.gov.au/who-contact

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sandhya

Thank you  for your inputs Tony. Much appreciated:)

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

I have an old 1950’s property in Brisbane which has had a leak from the roof during the recent storms a few months back. A builder has gone onsite and advised that the leak is caused by a cracked ridge and hip bedding. As Im looking to eventually demolish the property in maybe 5 years time, is there any way to repair this without having to replace the whole asbestos roof to get me by for a few more years?

Participant
    @aaq

Okay firstly is the roof sealed or painted? That’s your first option if it isn’t than painting or sealing will slow the deterioration of the entire roof surface which will continue to erode due to reaction to acidic pollution. Before you do that for the specific cracks seal them with liquid nails/sealant or similar if possible. You will need to follow asbestos safety precautions to do that – mask, PPE etc. To actually repair the sheets liquid nail or screw in cover panels of sheet metal remembering not to drill and following asbestos safety precautions.

In the sealing area there a number of options – you can just paint it but it will take a lot of paint as it soaks in and make sure its a UV resistant paint otherwise there is no point – it will be just as bad in 6 months time if you don’t use UV resistant. You can chemically treat it which usually involves two treatments one to clean it and then has to be safely drained and then treated. or you can polymer treat it which seals it up like plastic coating. These last two options though are so costly you may as well remove it. Remember you can get a TAX DEDUCTION for removing asbestos! Not the replacing of the roof just the removal part so you seriously should consider as five years is too long as it will continue to disintegrate as long as you have it in place. Also there is the extra insurance premium each year you pay for having an asbestos roof which due to all the storms is always increasing and add that over 5 years to the cost of maintenance. Also you run the risk of legal/tenant problem if it isn’t maintained – gutters in good condition and downpipes that go under ground etc. You haven’t said if its a house or commercial property so I’m presuming its a house as there are different laws for a commercial property you must follow. if you were only keeping it two or so years I’d say repair/seal for five or more years replacement may be the better option.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha

Thanks for your detailed reply. Yes it is a residential house. At the moment the roof isnt sealed or painted so I may look into this first in a bit more detail and see what options there are. Do you have any recommendations of tradies in Brisbane that could assist with this?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.