All Topics / Opinionated! / Are Govts making Covid tougher on us than they should?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi all,

I heard that The Vic Govt imposed a shutdown as of midnight last night (Friday 12th Feb 21).  A quick 5-day shutdown to get on top of 13 new Covid cases.   There was something like a day or two’s notice (I don’t recall exactly – they had time to “stop and think a little bit”), but WHY in the world would they choose midnight Friday as the start time for the lockdown?

People were watching the final stages of an exciting 5 set tennis match (the Australian Open Grand Slam event if you please, featuring the world’s #1 player) when fans were ordered to leave the stadium by 11:30pm so they could be home by midnight.   They even had to STOP the match while the stadium was evacuated.   To say there was discontent among the viewing public is putting it very mildly.

Now, WHO DOES THAT?   They had around two days to “choose a time for lockdown to start” (well, really, they have had a bloody YEAR to get this kind of thing right) – it wasn’t like an emergency that had them do it immediately, so why midnight?  Have all nightspots closed by then?   Have all citizens retired to their homes by midnight usually?  Has all transport stopped running by then?

If they REALLY wanted to upset people, they could have imposed a MIDDAY lockdown – that would have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons for sure.   But they didn’t, so I guess they really WEREN’T trying to upset people.   Midnight was better for sure, but why not 2am or 3am instead?   You know, like that hour when we move the clocks forward or backward – a time when MOST of us are oblivious to the change, so the fewest of us are affected.

At times I despair – just who is running the joint, and who chose them?   What were their qualifications that had us choose them over others?   Why is it so hard for them to get even the simplest decisions right?  Who vets their decision-making?   Us I guess – once every 3 or 4 years……   Hmmmm……

Benny (having a grumble re stupidity in high places)  :p

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Yeah, that was me having a grumble about what seemed a quite stupid decision.  In the end, that was quite a minor disruption, and yet, it didn’t need to happen if they had only thought a little more i.e use a 2am lockdown start time.

But there really has been far worse decisions, haven’t there?

One major one is this stop-start-stop-start-stop thing that goes on with borders and businesses.  Borders shut with little notice leaving folks who are visiting inter-state relatives stranded.  Wedding guest numebrs get restricted.  Wedding caterers are pulled from pillar to post.  How can most businesses run that way?  Some might, but others just can’t.  Imagine being a restaurant in this environment.   You know you are able to open again, so you stock up with food to cook and re-sell, call your staff back in, and prepare to open up with a procedure in place to cover the required “contact tracing” et al.

Things go fine for a week, then some palooka high up decides “we must shut down again”.  Really?   Why?   And how can this not cause even more problems?  Bookings get cancelled, food spoils, staff are laid off – again!   Border towns can lose half their customers at the stroke of a pen – and what of those families who live in one “twin city” but their kids go to school in the other?

NSW (along with several other countries) seem to be able to have most businesses (and borders) stay open full time.   Why can’t Qld and Vic, and SA, and WA do the same?   Some are worse than others – shutting a border with virtually NO notice at all.   How can any business survive that kind of damage?

Why not be a wee bit slower to “shut everything down”.   Surely there is a better way?  Ask NSW !!!

Benny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.