All Topics / Help Needed! / Apartment windows’ water leak — Who is responsible?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of property_avidproperty_avid
    Participant
    @property_avid

Dear All,

I have an apartment in Melbourne CBD (postcode 3000), its windows is rusty, mouldy, up to the point the windows have water leaks whenever it is raining. I have raised this issue to the Owners Corporation since 2019, they kept on stating it is owner’s responsibility to get the windows panels replaced. However, I contacted handymen, none of them wanted to take the job as they advised the rust is too serious and ordinary repair will not last long. Sealing the glass from inside would not achieve what needs to happen and the windows need to be sealed from outside.

I need advice on how to move forward please, I need the apartment leased ASAP.

https://imgur.com/a/w3DgSVM

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of property_avid property_avid.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of property_avid property_avid.

property_avid | NA

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this!

It does sound like a structural failure of the external building, which is typically an Owner’s Corp matter.

I recommend getting a copy of the governing document, ascertaining whether there is a sinking fund, and then heading off to a friendly lawyer to seek further help. Getting a builder to attest to the issue being a structural failure and not just a ‘wear and tear’ maintenance issue will be important.

All the best,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.