All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Troubles with my builder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Suri007Suri007
    Participant
    @suri007

Hi Folks

Upon inspecting the property built, it was discovered that the floor in the living room upstairs is uneven.

The builder wants me to settle as is and they say if it’s a structural issue they will fix it as part of their warranty.

I feel I should get a structural engineer report first to establish root cause, fix it and then take possession of the property.

I am being pushed as the builder is saying if I don’t pay up by Monday next week they will start charging interest.

I am in Victoria and have signed the Master Builders association contract.

Any advice will be appreciated – or if you know a good lawyer in Victoria – please let me know. Thanks!

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Suri,

“I am being pushed as the builder is saying if I don’t pay up by Monday next week they will start charging interest.”

Don’t be railroaded – work out WHAT that interest cost would be, then decide if it is worth having the “insurance” of a third party’s report.  e.g. let’s say you owe $100k to the builder, and they want to charge 5% interest.  That is approx $100 a week.  If an engineer’s report is going to take 3 weeks, then allow an extra $300 as the cost of your “insurance” (the structural engineer won’t be cheap I’m sure).  Once you have some “numbers” things become more clear.

One further thought, if downstairs is level, then it seems unlikely to be a ground subsidence issue to me.  Is that right?  What do you think? One old trick I’ve heard (works for hard floors) is to take a marble with you !!!  ;)  See which way it rolls.

Good luck with your decision,

Benny

Profile photo of Suri007Suri007
    Participant
    @suri007

Thanks Benny!! Your suggestion helps a great deal in fact :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.