All Topics / Help Needed! / Becoming A Builder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of SakoSako
    Participant
    @sako

Hello Again..

I am interested in becoming a builder (my background is in completely different industry) by obtaining my building license so that I can build for people and to develop my own investment properties on the side.

So my question is:
    What does it really take to obtain the license (Note: looking to operate in Melbourne) ? Course, Experience, Cost , Exams ??

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

@sako – what do you mean by ‘becoming a builder’?

The building industry is very wide – there are jobs at all levels from unskilled labourers, semi-skilled trades (concretors, gyprockers, landscapers etc), general tradies (brickies, painters, chippies, metalworkers, stonemasons, plasterers, floor layers, plumbers, sparkies etc), professional builders (project managers, site managers, site engineers, estimators, contracts administrators, quantity surveyors) and more. Each bod calls themselves ‘a builder’.

To get a builders licence as a minimum you’ll need to complete a trade (4 yr apprenticeship) then get your Cert IV in building and after suitable experience (diarised etc), then you can apply for a licence.

Make enquiries through HIA or Master Builders Vic.

Profile photo of SakoSako
    Participant
    @sako

Thanks Scott.

Your last paragraph covered what I’m after.

So basically obtain a building license so that I build houses and run my own projects.

I’ll enquire through HIA and Master Builders Vic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.