All Topics / Help Needed! / Career Insight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of PetePete
    Participant
    @pjewitt

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to get some opinions from those who work in the finance industry. Due to a recent spinal injury, it appears the need for a career change has been thrust upon me. I’m currently a tradesman and have been my entire working career.

As investing has been my passion since buying my first IP at the age of 21, I’m looking at moving into the finance industry, or something that is tied to finance/investing etc as my days of physical work will be over post surgery. I’m hoping to get some insight from those in the finance/brokering/investment trade about my current circumstances. I’m about to turn 40, and if I decide to study for 3-5 years to get qualified, I’ll be in my mid 40s’ just starting out in whatever I choose to do. I’m curious to know from people in the trade how long it takes to get beyond entry-level positions and have your career in full swing for various career paths.

cheers

Pete

Profile photo of Christopher BerryChristopher Berry
    Participant
    @chrisberry

Good Afternoon Pete,

My name is Chris Berry and I am currently the mortgage broker who deals with all leads and referrals for Steve Mcknight and Propertyinvesting.com

I have been in the finance game for about 16 years now and thought I would give you my opinion on the industry.

Being a finance broker and working for myself, I can definitely agree that there is a lot of money to be made, but it can be a slow path to getting to the level where the big money is. Like anything, it depends on how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work. The hardest part is getting a good knowledge of different situations, scenarios and also understanding the different policies that each lender offers.

It definitely won’t take you 3-5 years to get qualified as there are only two certificates that are required (unless it has changed dramatically in the last 12 months) as well as ongoing training, but you should be able to start writing loans within 3-6 months once you have started receiving your lender accreditations.

I have seen people walk into finance and take 3-5 years before making $100K per annum and I have seen people walk in and do it within 12 months, as mentioned above, if you want it bad enough, you’ll get it.

I was a slow starter because I worked in a very successful business and we weren’t really required to get out and find business as the loan book was built over 15 years and worth about $400M, we were hired as loan writes as opposed to a mortgage broker. Once I left this business, I was excepted to get out and find referrers and ascertain my own business. This was by far the hardest part of my career and took some time to work out how to provide complete strangers with the confidence to let me look after their clients. After 3 years on my own and approx 6 years working for other people, I am finally at a point where the business now comes to me and I don’t really have to do a huge amount of business development.

If you would like to give me a call to have a more in-depth chat, please feel free to give me a call on 0477212840 and you can pick my brain.

Hope this gives you some realistic insight :)

Christopher Berry | Find A Better Rate Home Loans
    https://findabetterrate.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Taking the Hard Work of your home loan

Profile photo of PetePete
    Participant
    @pjewitt

Thanks Chris. Once I’m post surgery and know the outcome I’ll get in contact and have a chat.

cheers

Pete

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.