All Topics / Help Needed! / SMSF Purchase Property Outright

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of ECSMOMECSMOM
    Participant
    @ecsmom

Looking for some information on SMSF – can I buy a residential investment property outright with my super? If so, do I need to leave a % of money in the fund? I don’t own any property and am currently renting – if that matters. TIA.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Evening Ecsom

Yes assuming your SMSF Trust Deed allows you to invest in property there is nothing to stop you doing so but the question is why would you do it.

There is no legal requirement forcing you to keep a % of money in the Fund but again as a Trustee or Director of the Trustee Company and acting responsibily you want to ensure you have cash flow coming in to cover the ongoing costs of the property and SMSF management.

Diversification of Assets is always wise do why not look to take a SMSF loan with an offset account.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Probably poor wording but ‘you’ cant purchase property with your super, the trustee of your SMSF can though.

But I agree with Richard – why would you want to cause the trustee to do that? Unleveraged property has a low return, could the money be used elsewhere more effectively?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Dale SmithDale Smith
    Participant
    @propertyinvetsor888

Interesting to note that Macquarie, the last bank willing to lend to SMSFs, announced that it will stop for any applications after June 30

Participant
    @qlds007

Unless you are existing accreditated introducer Macquarie isn’t taking on any new SMSF’s now let alone June.

Still several other SMSF lenders and some interesting post LBRS products in the pipeline.

Cheers

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

I see people buying smsf property outright (or on very low LVRs) when they are nearing retirement quite commonly. For folk who like owning property as a pure assett class to generate rental returns for retirement income it works, as long as you target higher yielding properties. For example currently I am searching for a small block of units for an smsf and they are not intending to sell for capital gain but keep long term and use rental income to buy milk and bread during retirement.

The main difference in their mind is that the assett is tangible, the rent is reliable, the problems are quantifiable. We can all make arguments for/against shares and dividends and other income streams but each person needs to live with the risks they take on. Some people are sceptical about stock market crashes or dividends disappearing in future. For them it makes sense I guess.

As mentioned above you still need to keep SOME buffer funds because you need to cover costs, emergencies, rates/insurance when properties are vacant etc so I would proceed with caution and set aside a good amount of cash still. Also as mentioned the wisdom of using 80-90% of a fund to buy 1 property is pretty questionable, very little diversification there. So… if you have enough cash to buy several properties outright AND some shares AND some cash then I would think go for it if you are nearing retirement and just thinking about income. Choose your locations carefully as you don’t want vacant properties if you live on the rent!

If you are young and have limited funds, then this could be a bad idea and the leverage is much more attractive longer term. Not financial advice of course, get expert help before doing anything.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Due to popular demand we are launching our in house SMSF loan product with no liquidity and no minimum fund balance.

It is a lodoc loan so even if you are self employed and the lvr and property asset is right you will be considered.

Even if a new Labour Govt carry out their threats and withdrawn LBRA’s the product will still strive.

Just waiting on legal opinion post an ATO PR to release it to the market but certainly if initial inquiry is anything to go by there will be no shortage of takers.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of B7BB7B
    Participant
    @kellian

Due to popular demand we are launching our in house SMSF loan product with no liquidity and no minimum fund balance.

It is a lodoc loan so even if you are self employed and the lvr and property asset is right you will be considered.

Even if a new Labour Govt carry out their threats and withdrawn LBRA’s the product will still strive.

Just waiting on legal opinion post an ATO PR to release it to the market but certainly if initial inquiry is anything to go by there will be no shortage of takers.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

RIchard

How did you go with this?
    Does it include the ability to refinance existing SMSF property loans?

Profile photo of JohnJohn
    Participant
    @johnn-neale

I’m looking at doing the same thing. The reason I’m looking at doing that is because in the long run realestate is a hedge against inflation, has a yield greater than money in the bank, is a real asset compared to a piece of paper whose value depends on a huge range of uncontrollable risks and it reduces the temptation to blow the capital as its not easily liquidated. I wouldn’t do it if I needed the capital to live.

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes product was launched in June after Cooper Grace Ward signed off on the product and to date we have settled about 30 deals.

At the moment we are getting a deal a day in from our Broker network.

The product is a SMSF Rent to Buy.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

I’m looking at doing the same thing. The reason I’m looking at doing that is because in the long run realestate is a hedge against inflation, has a yield greater than money in the bank, is a real asset compared to a piece of paper whose value depends on a huge range of uncontrollable risks and it reduces the temptation to blow the capital as its not easily liquidated. I wouldn’t do it if I needed the capital to live.

John did you end up buying anything?

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.