Forums / Property Investing / Help Needed! / Looking for advice on house problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of IthilienIthilien
    Participant
    @sapped
    Join Date: 2017
    Post Count: 7

    Hey guys,

    We purchased our first house last week after searching for a long period. This will be the first time we’ll live in a house as we have always lived in apartments before. So this is both exciting and overwhelming for us.

    The house is an old single story from the 1950s, so there may be some issues that needs to be fixed up after moving in. A building inspection was done on the property previously, and the report can be found here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xri0ucv20k8czch/Inspection.pdf?dl=0

    Although looking through the pages, we’re quite lost on what we should be doing. This also isn’t helped by our lack of experience in living in houses, since we don’t know how serious some of the issues mentioned are.

    We’re wondering which problem should be fixed as soon as possible and which can be left alone as long as it’s not causing any issue?

    Thank you so much for reading this, we would sincerely appreciate any advice that can be given!

    Best Regards,
    Ithilien

    Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona
    Join Date: 2014
    Post Count: 282

    Reporting on Asbestos is outside the Scope of this Report. (the fact asbestos could be in the roof is a fair alarm)
    they can test fairly cheaply

    where sarking is damaged, both insulation and moisture protection of the property are inhibited.

    so two things in my eyes I would be worried about
    1. is the Roofing and walls Asbestos (looks like it could be)
    2. can I start fixing things as the place is Asbestos and any movement can release particles into the air.
    3. then you can work on all the rest after.

    any further questions happy to assist.

    Profile photo of IthilienIthilien
    Participant
    @sapped
    Join Date: 2017
    Post Count: 7

    Ahh thank you for your reply Jaxon, I’ll definitely have the asbestos part checked.

    Although I’m not quite sure what it means in the part of report where it talks about asbestos in switchboard. Those it mean there may be asbestos floating around in there or in any of the components inside?

    If so, would it be dangerous for me to touch the switchboard for when we wish to turn off/restart the power?

    Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona
    Join Date: 2014
    Post Count: 282

    Yeah so from memory its not clear, simple point is if the compound gets into your lungs it can potentially problematic. hence why its illegal to use in construction in Australia since I think the 1980s

    “Breathing in air containing asbestos fibres can lead to asbestos-related diseases, mainly cancers of the lungs and chest lining. Asbestos is only a risk to health if asbestos fibres are released into the air and breathed in.”

    A lot of home owners have asbestos in Australia so don’t feel your terribly off.
    but I would say depending on your long term plans its going to cost a bit extra to treat it once knocking it down.

    in regards to doing any work, get the house tested first so you know what your dealing with and start reading and learn about it so you can learn to mitigate issues (if even possible)

    Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor
    Join Date: 2016
    Post Count: 282

    You can also get in touch with the building inspection company and discuss concerns and urgencies with them. Good luck! 👍😎

    Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

    Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.