All Topics / Value Adding / What To Do With Excess Land?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • David Thiu
    Participant
    @david-thiu

Hi guys,

Just looking what you guys would do with the excess land behind the following property (+1200 sqm)?

Picture Link

Cheers,

David

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  David Thiu.
    Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

I would talk with town planning

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

David Thiu
    Participant
    @david-thiu

Ok, I’ll look into dropping into the local council when I’m back in Adelaide

Thanks Jaxon

Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

even call or email, most planning offices are happy to chat.

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

Profile photo of GaryGary
    Participant
    @iamgary

Hello David,
    My first thought in looking at the drawing provided would be the potential for a battleaxe.
    There are a whole host of requirements set out in the Councils LEP (Local Environment Plan) that would either allow this or not.

I would have a quick look at the LEP first to get familiar with Councils requirements, in particular:
    1. Zoning
    2. Min lot size and any exemptions
    3. Frontage and handle width

I suggest the next step would be to ascertain the dimensions of the block. If there is a contour survey available this would help, alternatively you could physically measure it or use an online mapping tool.

You would then need to speak with a local Surveyor/Town planner. They will know the LEP and DCP very well and be able to advise on whether compliant development is possible and, alternatively if non-compliant development can be negotiated with this Council. They can take you most of the way until you need a builder.
    The most important thing however is to crunch the numbers to ensure the deal is feasible.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Gary

David Thiu
    Participant
    @david-thiu

Hello Gary,

Good thinking.

This is exactly what’s happened to a neighbouring area.

Click here to see…

I brought these plans to council and they confirmed this could be achieved.

They mentioned that trees that had circumference greater than 2 metres needed council approval but apart from that everything seemed good.

So purchase price for the duplex is $235,000-255,000

Potential price for each townhouse is $300,000 x 4

Price to demolish, subdivide into 4 parcels, and then build 4 townhouses is the current unknown…

Cheers,

David

Profile photo of GaryGary
    Participant
    @iamgary

Hi David,
    Firstly see if it’s possible to keep the existing duplex and build another duplex behind. This strategy will be highly dependant on the site dimensions and Council LEP however (Hard for me to know without a survey and researching the LEP).
    The beauty of retaining the existing duplex (if possible) is that you retain a lot of value (2units) and reduce a lot of cost (demo, build cost for 2 extra units, civil works and Council contribution). Then Just Reno the existing duplex.
    Another note on Subdivision; you shouldn’t have to subdivide into 4 lots, just Strata title it.
    Any way, all these points are only to make you realise hat you MUST see a Town Planner/ Surveyor or Architect rather than Council. They are paid to give you ideas and can give you ideas and strategies that Council won’t.
    If you do go for the demo option ensure you do a solid feaso with real numbers (quotes etc) and add in some contingency.
    A final note: finance will be more difficult with 4 units; don’t underestimate this!
    Cheers,
    Gary

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.