All Topics / Commercial Property / 2 x SMSF Commercial Property buy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of wayne1wayne1
    Participant
    @wholly

Scenario:
    Found and industrial Property off the Plan to purchase (eg. total cost $250K) – NEW BUILD!

Proposal:
    Two Separate SMSF will each own 50.00% of the unit. (There will be a commercial lease at market rates)
    Both personal SMSF have 2 members each and are individual trustees.

Funding:
    100% Cash purchase (50.00% each SMSF)
    however looking to create it as a vehicle to unlock the equity and purchase more property via mortgages etc. Using the power of the lease income.
    GST Liability of $25k bridging finance (3-6 months depending on filing dates) from SMSF till lodgement and refund from ATO. [so as not to change the controlling interest above 50.00%]

Purchasing Structure:
    From research is seems as though we would be best served as setting up a corporate trustee and unit trust that ultimately hold the property title?
    Advantages: 50% CGT Rollover relief
    Dis-advantages:The down side to this is we lose the depreciation on the building deduction (distributed to the SMSF)??

Is this a good solution or am I missing something that will allow us better leverage and a better returning yield??

Obviously I don’t want to get caught regarding in-house assets etc. The magical wording seems to be controlling interest >50.01% by one party

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

This is something you need specific legal advice on.

A unit trust may be a good structure, but the trustees could also just buy as tenants in common – should always be a company trustee for SMSF I think.

Also consider having the SMSF borrow to acquire the property as once it is purchased it cannot be leveraged or mortgaged in the future.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.