All Topics / Value Adding / Contractor dragging feet finishing small project.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SimonSimon
    Participant
    @simon1313

Hi All.

I am experiencing what I consider to be a lengthy delay with my contractor arranging certification for a carport he put up as well as a bedroom conversion.
    Carport has been up 7+ weeks, bedroom finished well before then. He is hard to get hold of and has not come through on two dates given by him to get the certifier on site. He has all plans & approvals (sitting variation) from counsel, I still have 1/2 his fee for the job that I am feeling very thankful for keeping until job finished & certified.
    I have requested to be sent all paperwork and am still being reasonable & measured with my communication in the interest of maintaining an ongoing relationship.
    I am however growing inpatient, I want to reval & need this wrapped up. Have had no communication for 10 days. At what point do I start looking at sorting a BC to sign this off myself?

I would love some advice on this.

Thanks

S

Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

Hey mate,

Sorry to hear it and good thing you still hold 50% of the fee.

10 days without hearing back + all the delays mentioned is unacceptable in my book. I’m also an investor and if this would have happened to me I would probably give him a reasonable deadline to sort everything out and failing that, would go another avenue to sort it all out ASAP, making this all very clear to him + that it will be well reflected in the final fee he will get.

Hope this helps?

Would be happy to know how it was all sorted out eventually ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Profile photo of SimonSimon
    Participant
    @simon1313

Would be happy to know how it was all sorted out eventually ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Hi Ethan

It is all finally being wrapped up now, DA is submitted for carport and I have completed requested work from the BC for the bedroom conversion, once Approved sitting variation is back all work will be approved and submitted to council. I have certainly learned a lesson and am lucky it didn’t cost me more than a delay refinancing.
    It appears the builder was happy with half the fee plus the DA fee, he was un-contactable for over four weeks until I threatened to share my experience of his services, everywhere I could and as often as I could online, as well as being in discussion with my solicitor regarding the matter. He phoned me the next day and we slowly got all the docs to the certifier and submitted the DA (this should have been done at the beginning).

So what do you suggest I do about the final 2.2k I owe him? I did make comment that I just wanted the work finished and would fix him up once the work was complete.

He has paid 750 to submit the DA, I’m thinking I will square him that. that puts him back at what he appeared happy to walk away with over two months ago?

After a lengthy chat to council I now understand the whole process was backwards. I accept responsibility I should have better educated myself on the process before hand.

Cheers

S

Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

Happy to hear issue has been resolved ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

I would definitely honour the amended agreement with him. Would probably not use him again though ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Profile photo of EnterpriseGenie-Finding Money in Property Nov 22- Ask me howEnterpriseGenie-Finding Money in Property Nov 22- Ask me how
    Participant
    @enterprisegenie

Builders are good at building but not paperwork. From experience, you would be hard pressed to find a tradie who is good at paperwork. I had a similar issue- my builder did not put handles on my kitchen and claimed I did not specify handles for kitchen. In the final inspection- among some other things…. I said I wanted them fixed. They locked up and walked away. Next day I dropped him a letter (before email was acceptable communication) saying I cancelled the contract and keep $16k owed. He called me within 20 minutes with keys and accpeting the cheque.
    My advice:
    1 It pays to know your property laws
    2 ensure there are clauses in your contract to cover how things are to be handed over

EnterpriseGenie-Finding Money in Property Nov 22- Ask me how | Enterprise Genie

Finding Money Series- Helping NFPs & Community Groups with grants fundraising & sponsorhsip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.