All Topics / Help Needed! / On the age old topic of paying IO or PI

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of StevenSteven
    Participant
    @steven1982

Hi all

As title suggests.

While I understand the concept and theory about how when using Interest Only loan, for the first 5 years (or 10 years if I get an extension), I benefit from paying less monthly repayment and even though I pay more interest in the end, but those “more interest” are all in the end tax deducible.

However, I want to use an example..

Suppose let’s say I have a property on 440K loan, with interest rate 4.45% and paying P&I. The monthly repayment is 2200 while it generates roughly 1200 interest per month.

If going with IO with 5% interest rate, then for the first 5 years it is really great, I only pay 1800 while the interest being generated would be higher than 1200 (probably closer to 1400), but starting from 6th year, I need to pay 2600 per month while my rental income wouldn’t have increased by 400 per month (I think it is unlikely)…. so while I am getting more cash on hands for the first 5 years, but starting from the 6th year, I am actually forking out more cash from my own pocket due to increased monthly repayment and rental income not catching up to the increased monthly repayment….

So my question is how does that work out to be “better”?

Profile photo of Creative Investment CoachCreative Investment Coach
    Participant
    @nickcreativeinvestmentsolutions-com-au

Hi Steven,

the reason that it suits many investors to pay IO is to reduce the monthly holding costs and ensure all outgoings are 100% tax deductible (principal payments are not tax deductible). If at the end of the 5 year IO period your lender will not extend (I know some of the larger banks are not extending at the moment due to the APRA restrictions) I would look to refinance with another lender. There are still great rates out there for IO loans.

If you are after specific advice relating to your situation please get in touch.

IO all the way!

Creative Investment Coach | Creative Investment Solutions
    http://www.creativeinvestmentsolutions.com.au
    Email Me

Creative Investment Solutions - The First Choice For Property Investors

Profile photo of StevenSteven
    Participant
    @steven1982

Hi there.

I have a question though…. and please forgive me for being a newbie and the fact that my question will probably sound ignorant but…

The question is, can you really keep on extending / refinancing IO forever? I would imagine that at some stage, someone is going to say “hey, this loan has been on IO for 20 years (or however long) now, it is starting to get ridiculous so let’s put an end to it”, and by then you would need to somehow pay that off?

Let’s use an example.

Someone buys a house and gets a 30 year home loan with IO in year 2000. So loan in theory ends in year 2030.
    At year 2005, that person refinances to another lender who extends grants IO payment and “extend” the loan so it lasts another 30 years, thus the loan would then end in year 2035.
    At year 2010, that person refinances again to a third lender who does the same and loan then ends in year 2040….

What I mean is can this cycle really be repeated forever until the day I die? I would think at some stage someone will put a stop to that cycle and by then, wouldn’t the monthly repayment start to crash down on me?

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Steven,
    I guess you might be one of the younger members of our society. Those of us with some grey hairs well recall how the passage of time plays its part. e.g. If you can find some old magazines, or Google for historical figures, do check out the median values of homes in (say) Sydney from the 1970’s through to present day.

You will see that the values do climb, while the need for a higher mortgage does not if all you are doing is refinancing. Of course, you might be drwaing down equity to allow you to purchase more – but, for the sake of this exercise, let’s say you weren’t.

So, back in 1985, your parents (who were investors) took out a loan to buy a house in Sydney. At that time, the median price of the average home was $70k – they took out a loan (IO for $60k as it was for investment purposes). Five years later, the median value in Sydney was $100k – they wanted to stay IO, so they went to another lender and got a $60k loan on IO. That lender actually asked if they wanted to increase the loan to $80k, but they said no.

By 1995, the Sydney medians has climbed to $150k and they still owed $60k – they refinanced once more to keep it IO – in fact, they didn’t have to, as their current bank saw their LVR was just 40% ($60k / $150k x 100) and they wanted to keep them on their books. By 2000, prices were starting to surge once more in Sydney and medians were now $250k. Your parents had NO trouble getting a loan for $60k IO as its LVR was now just over 25%. As values rose, and their needs remained minimal, banks would fall over themselves to keep them on an IO loan – the Interest is where the Banks make money – why not keep good payers on THEIR books and not have your parents go off to another bank ?????

Now, Steven, the amounts quoted might bear some resemblance to reality – I was watching as prices hit certain levels in certain years, but really, the figures I used are not accurate. But perhaps near enough for the purpose of the exercise. If nothing else, I think you can see WHY property investing can be so beneficial over time? And the issue of IO does not always need to be an issue. That said, at some times, banks’ lending rules do change from time to time. In the 1970’s getting loans was nowhere near as easy as it was in the 90’s.

The above also tends to point toward WHY so many investors do not concern themselves with paying ONLY IO – as really, there is no concern. Over time the mortgage value drops relative to the value of the property. So, “your parents” in the example above might have bought a $70k house in 1985 with a $60k mortgage. And, in 2003, they sold the house for $350k, paid off the $60k mortgage, paid a bit of CGT, and pocketed around $200k for themselves. Meantime, all of the Interest and costs had been paid by the tenants. Keep in mind, though the mortgage hadn’t grown, the rents WERE growing over time. Cool?

QED. ;)

Benny

Participant
    @steven1982

Hi Benny

OK, that makes sense, but what about in today’s scenario?

The example you gave relied on a few things:

1. Organic capital growth which is difficult to come by now days compare to 30 years ago
    2. Rental incomes are growing to the point of catching up or exceeding the amount of loan / repayment that is needed to “feed” the bank, which again is not the case now days. Housing price has gone to the point where the rate of loan repayment are increasing faster than the rate of rental income can catch up.
    3. Government is tightening regulations and banks are tightening IO lending, compare to the old days.

Seems rules are now changing and we need new solutions.

The conventional method of “buy and hold” or “buy and renovate” that worked well in the past, are now taking too long in today’s world and make many new investors feeling they are stuck.

@benny

Hi Steven,

The example you gave relied on a few things:
    1. Organic capital growth which is difficult to come by now days compare to 30 years ago

Really? What has Sydney been doing the last 3 years, and Melbourne too? Brisbane is likely to be next…. all part of the cycle, but then each cycle is different to the one before.

2. Rental incomes are growing to the point of catching up or exceeding the amount of loan / repayment that is needed to “feed” the bank, which again is not the case now days. Housing price has gone to the point where the rate of loan repayment are increasing faster than the rate of rental income can catch up.

Certainly with wages not growing as quickly as in the past, it becomes more difficult to afford a place. That (I believe) has ties to the excesses of immigration and/or overseas investors who are buying up the farm. While ever supply is kept low, demand remains strong. Then Govts. tinker around the edges to endeavour to be “all things to all people” – whack investors (reduce IO loans), because FHB’s are crying at not being able to afford a place (like, do investors perpetually overpay to get a place???? Thus driving up those prices? :P)

3. Government is tightening regulations and banks are tightening IO lending, compare to
    the old days.

Even “the old days” had times of tight bank regulations. Everything is cyclic. Small example:-
    a. We struggled to buy our first property – money lending was tight in 1973 (gold through the roof, petrol too) – a lot of FHB’s were wanting to get into a house. We bought through a wrapper, secondhand, and re-financed out of the wrap within a couple of years (I worked a second job).
    b. Six months after we bought it, we were offered 50% more than we paid for it. Just 6 months….
    c. We did sell, about 7 years later, and got THREE times as much as we had paid. Prices then stagnated for about 7 more years.
    d. We moved and bought into a Brisbane house in 1984 for the same price we sold in 1980. Prices screamed upward after Expo – doubled between 1987 and 1990.
    e. Then they went backward – four years later (after the “recession we had to have”) our place had dropped by 20% in value.
    f. Prices then STAYED lowish for another 6 years, until 2000 when the gun went off and we were racing.
    ……

Times change – buying possibilities change. Govts change legislation. RBA’s play around with Interest Rates. Re that, the Interest Rates have (I believe) played a major part in defining many of the current events. e.g. When paying between 11% and 17%, you’d better NOT have a big mortgage, unless you also have a commensurately big wage. Today, with IR’s around 4%, values have been allowed to scream upward as demand continued to grow. Folks on even an average wage can yet afford a hugely expensive house.

Seems rules are now changing and we need new solutions.

Pretty much right there, Steven. I think lessons from the past can be tailored to fit a new world too though. While ever supply and demand continue to play their part, making decisions based on their relativity will continue to make a lot of sense. e.g. If demand is high, and prices have become too high in an area, think of how those prices could be lowered. Old wisdom might say “go buy in next suburb or next city” – and that might still work. Or look to new ways (e.g. sharing homes to get multiple incomes from multiple renters). Student accom. airbnb.

To be able to make the best choices, one must be “a full bottle” on the possibilities around them. An understanding of this new world becomes mandatory. Keep on reading – if wanting “How to” stories, buy YPI magazine or similar, and read !! Early days are hard, but with each investor person you meet, and each story you read, the path becomes a little more well-lit and easier to navigate.

Benny

Participant
    @steven1982

—————— snip ————————-
    Really? What has Sydney been doing the last 3 years, and Melbourne too? Brisbane is likely to be next…. all part of the cycle, but then each cycle is different to the one before.
    —————— snip ————————-

By itself it is true, but when coupled with my second point, that is just unsustainable.

eg: I pay 1M for buy a house, while rental income is ridiculously low by comparison…. so even if the property does get “organic capital growth” the next year, it is no good since it would be impossible for me to invest in the next one.

@benny

By itself it is true, but when coupled with my second point, that is just unsustainable.

Fair comment. The answers though still lie within that supply/demand curve. Remove demand, and prices will drop. Or wait a few more years and rents/wages will close the gap once more.

Values don’t grow linearly – they grow more like a staircase in real estate. A couple of years of booming, followed by a flattening off for several years (and yes, even dropping in that time) until things “catch up” then another boom period. And the staircase is not linear either – unless we used a logarythmic scale which would tend to show similar trends over successive cycles.

The lowering of Interest Rates fueled this most recent boom. What will fuel the next one? I don’t know. Or will there be a massive worldwide crash in values? It is possible, and yet I think unlikely. Whatever upsets the supply/demand curve will tend to dictate the results.

e.g. Watch what happens with units in major cities over the next couple of years. They were over-built to supply anticipated influx of overseas investors (many from China, a relatively new demand source) – and then that demand dried up even as apartments were being planned/built to cater. Now the Govt has tinkered a bit more to further dissuade foreign investment – turning the supply demand curve on its head. This will end badly for apartment values in those areas. Watch it unfold.

Could that spill over into housing too? Yes, it could – if apartments become a lot cheaper, FHB’s might choose to buy an apartment as their First Home rather than a house. This weakens the housing s/d curve, AND removes them from the pool of renters. Rental demand can therefore weaken too (if enough FHB’s do that), forcing rents lower as demand drops, which has an impact on investors buying more housing (as returns now not so good). The lower rents begin to stabilise the exodus over time and, as wages tick up, so too do house prices once more, leading to more demand for rentals, hence rents rise again……. and the beat goes on.

It is true what you say re yields dropping – I have watched that happen over the last 17 years. I believe that went hand-in-hand with the ease of borrowing after banks became de-regulated in Keating’s time (I think). So, OK – we adapt – we change our methods to accommodate this.

Steve found his initial successes became unable to be repeated in Ballarat after a time – he moved into apartments, then to NZ housing, then to USA housing, and even later, shifted gears completely into US Commercial property via his Fund. What will be his next move once “the old way isn’t working so well any more”? I don’t know, but stay tuned – I am sure he will already be eyeing up his next opportunity.

If one way becomes unsustainable, find another way that fits within your skillset, risk levels, and leads to your goals. Keep on reading Steven – and well done for pursuing your path via questioning. Your challenging questions have been good to ponder on. Alternate views often lead to learning, and I need to learn as much as anyone else. So, well done – shows you are thinking around the whole subject.

Benny

Participant
    @steven1982

Interesting read.

I came across someone quoting this: The best time to invest was 10 years ago and the second best time to invest is now.

The rational I was given behind this quote is:

1. Interest rate will raise (probably will NOT skyrocket, but will raise overtime).
    2. Because of the raise in interest, it will become increasingly more difficult for first home buyers to buy their first home, unless they want to turn into apartments, which may happen, but even then the raising interest rates will probably end up hurting first home buyers in that regard as well.
    3. If they can’t buy, then they have to rent, which means the market is still an investors market rather than renters market
    4. The stump duty allowance for first home buyers doesn’t look like it will help them in the long run either. It gives them more $$$ to buy, but that means they are getting bigger loans, which can be risky for them.
    5. Increased interest rate means increased rent as well………

I have also find people like Robert Kyosaki now advocates people to become online entrepreneurs rather than property investors……

Profile photo of bsethbseth
    Participant
    @briseth

IMO what limits business growth (property or other) is available cash, if you can preserve your cash (and buffers for less stress) using IO lending you have free cash to grow your business – eg. the next deposit, to pay for the reno etc. It doesnt have to cost a lot more (like ING 2yr fixed IO investor rate 4.19).

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi all
    As title suggests.
    While I understand the concept and theory about how when using Interest Only loan, for the first 5 years (or 10 years if I get an extension), I benefit from paying less monthly repayment and even though I pay more interest in the end, but those “more interest” are all in the end tax deducible.
    However, I want to use an example..
    Suppose let’s say I have a property on 440K loan, with interest rate 4.45% and paying P&I. The monthly repayment is 2200 while it generates roughly 1200 interest per month.
    If going with IO with 5% interest rate, then for the first 5 years it is really great, I only pay 1800 while the interest being generated would be higher than 1200 (probably closer to 1400), but starting from 6th year, I need to pay 2600 per month while my rental income wouldn’t have increased by 400 per month (I think it is unlikely)…. so while I am getting more cash on hands for the first 5 years, but starting from the 6th year, I am actually forking out more cash from my own pocket due to increased monthly repayment and rental income not catching up to the increased monthly repayment….
    So my question is how does that work out to be “better”?

In the good old days people could just keep extending the IO terms on the loans. This is probably no longer practical to do and may not be even possible for most.

Where it was possible it used to help in a number of ways with the 2 main ones being:
    a) building up a large cash buffer which could be used for a quicker and more tax effective retirement,
    b) lower cash flow allowing more investments to be made.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @steven1982

In the good old days people could just keep extending the IO terms on the loans. This is probably no longer practical to do and may not be even possible for most.

I guess you are right.

It is probably not possible with the big banks any more, but it may still be possible.

I was contacted by a broker who offered to help me refinance to a lender who not only can do that, but also does that at a much lower interest rate than my current bank (one of the big 4) is able to provide me. Bank’s IO rate has gone over 5%, while broker quoted that lender’s rate is below 4.5%.

Broker said Lender doesn’t deal with clients directly, but instead only deals with a list of licensed brokers… If due diligence checks out for that lender, I think I am willing to refinance to them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.