All Topics / Help Needed! / FIX OR NOT TO FIX

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of zehrazehra
    Participant
    @zehra

Hi Guys
    I am sure this question has been asked so many times but this is my return to this site and I cant find it .
    so my question is since the rates are starting to creep up should I be thinking of fixing my rates say for 3 yrs ?

Thanks in advanced

sam

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It is certainly worth considering. There may be arguments for and against fixing though.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of zehrazehra
    Participant
    @zehra

would you say more argument to fix tho ?
    I am just looking at the current situation with interest rates creeping up and didnt want to get caught when its too late

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Zehra,

would you say more argument to fix tho ?

That is quite dependent on your circumstances – financially it may be beneficial right now, but then it “locks you up” in a Fixed Loan, and the costs of breaking them can be HUGE !!

Like, don’t go Fixing a loan if you have any plans to sell within that 3 year period, or if you think you might need to re-finance within those 3 years. Is your current income secure (are you a PAYG employee, and is the company “in good shape” and liable to keep on employing you for the next 3 years – or are your skills such that you can “walk into another job anywhere”?)

Also, be prepared for a sudden jump in Rates when exitting from the Fixed Loan in 3 years time. I used some a bunch of years back and the 6.1% Fixed rate ended in early 2009 just when Variable Rates had gone to 9.10% – no, it was not a 3% increase, it was around 50% !!! OUCH!!!

I am sure there could be lots more reasons that Terry can add too, especially with his knowledge. The above are just a couple of the more well-known reasons to fix, or not. Certainly, now is a way better time to fix than 2009 (when at 9.1%). Unfortunately many “Mums’n’Dads” DID fix at 9.1% back then – they couldn’t afford to pay higher, so they locked in at that rate. And then the RBA realised they had got it wrong, and the Rates were on the way down to the “lowest in history” by the end of that year.

Fixing right now is financially not too bad at all – just be aware of some of the traps, especially the Break Cost.

Benny

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.