All Topics / Help Needed! / Re-financing, 11th hour offer from existing lender

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of SimonSimon
    Participant
    @simon1313

Hi Guys

I would be interested to hear thoughts / opinions on the below situation.

My current lender NAB, whom I have banked with over 10 years were less than helpful when I contacted them to enquire about usable equity in my PPOR to use for investing. I was told over the phone, “sorry your property is only worth what you paid for it 2.25 years ago, we cant help you”

I then enlisted the help of a broker who had the property valued & we refinanced.

Nab contacted me to enquire why I was leaving when they revived the paperwork & were understanding. I also explained that as there had been issues in the past with my banking at NAB that they dealt with quite badly, It wasn’t a hard decision. This was over a week ago.

So NAB have just contacted me again yesterday & offered me the equity release. No valuation, just a total 180 on the original decision at the last hour matching the new lender.

So what to do? I would feel all the work of the broker has been a total waste of their time & that doesn’t sit well with me. It also frustrates me the Way NAB have dealt with the whole situation.The rates are better but I would not be surprised if NAB now offered to match them. Obviously I would also save some money in fees.

As an investor should I look at this purely from a $$ POV?

Thanks

S

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Simo,

I would feel all the work of the broker has been a total waste of their time & that doesn’t sit well with me. It also frustrates me the Way NAB have dealt with the whole situation.

I think you are answering your own question right there!

Like, why did it take an action from you to “go elsewhere” before NAB took any notice of you? Why did they suddenly realise “Oh sure, you DO have equity after all”.

At times like this, I would say “Go with your gut”. I have also heard Steve say “The best rate is not always the best deal” (or words similar to that).

Of course, there is a flip side – and you would need a Broker to help you with this one…. That is, NAB might be one of those lenders who you should “go to first” to use up their largesse, and then move to another for later borrowings. But that depends on how far you plan to go (your goals) and how much positive value NAB would provide at this time.

Good luck with the choice,
    Benny

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Simo,

I would feel all the work of the broker has been a total waste of their time & that doesn’t sit well with me. It also frustrates me the Way NAB have dealt with the whole situation.

I think you are answering your own question right there!

Like, why did it take an action from you to “go elsewhere” before NAB took any notice of you? Why did they suddenly realise “Oh sure, you DO have equity after all”.

At times like this, I would say “Go with your gut”. I have also heard Steve say “The best rate is not always the best deal” (or words similar to that).

Of course, there is a flip side – and you would need a Broker to help you with this one…. That is, NAB might be one of those lenders who you should “go to first” to use up their largesse, and then move to another for later borrowings. But that depends on how far you plan to go (your goals) and how much positive value NAB would provide at this time.

Good luck with the choice,
    Benny

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

what are the differences in rates?

NAB are extremely frustrating to deal with.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Other consideration is check your Credit Proposal Disclosure as you may still be up for the brokers commission even though you didn’t settle.

More and more brokers are factoring a fee payment in post formal approval in the event you decided not to proceed and the loan did not settle or you repaid the loan in the first 18 months and they incur a clawback of the commissions paid.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of SimonSimon
    Participant
    @simon1313

Thanks For the reply Benny.

Terry +.20 -.10 on fixed & +.10 on variable (I was going 50/50). Matched rate on IO equity release. They are good rates, well below advertised.

Their Valuation has come back 5k higher than ING. What really gets me is no valuation was done when I was told my property was valued at 2014 purchase price, like they were not interested in the business at all. I even told them at the time I would be looking to other lenders & was told OK! Should I expect this from all banks.

ING is internet only, that’s the only downside, but that balances out as I don’t yet view them as being run by a bunch of monkeys.

An unrelated question…….

Is the equity release from my PPOR used for a deposit for the IP deductible?

Thanks Guys

S

Participant
    @simon1313

Thanks Richard

That has crossed my mind.

Do situations like this arise often? Seems to be a funny way to run a buisness.

Cheers

S

Profile photo of newbie2015newbie2015
    Participant
    @newbie2015

Another perspective: perhaps that particular NAB consultant was having a bad day? I agree, it still doesn’t excuse the poor service though.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of newbie2015 newbie2015.
    Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

IMHO, bad service shouldn’t be rewarded. If more clients will leave the lender due to bad service, the lender will improve their service. If the lender keeps retaining the clients in the last minute, the level of service probably won’t change.

Even if your agreement with the broker doesn’t mention a fee should an approval isn’t actioned by you, I would still consider paying him for his time. Had the same thing happen to me late last year. It’s very annoying to do all the work and eventually the client decides to stay with the same lender he wasn’t happy with in the first place.

Yes, you should be able to use the equity release as a deposit for an IP but you may want to consider having the new loan done as a split so once you do draw those funds, its tax deductible 😉

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
    Ethan

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Participant
    @simon1313

Hi Ethan

Totally agree, it is very poor service and extremely lazy. It was not a hard decision to make.

The loan is being set up as three separate loans. 1 fixed 2 Variable & 3 the equity deposit. As I understand it I just need to ensure it does not offset interest on the the PPOR.

Thanks

S

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Course the NAB was the first major lenderto increase their interest rates yesterday.

Ask them if they will waive your increase.

Do situations like this arise often? Seems to be a funny way to run a business.

Absolutely, your broker has done all of the work and would expect to get paid.

Can’t think of another Profession where you waive your fees if you decide not to proceed. Try that with your Accountant and see what he says.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @simon1313

The refinance settles next week with the new lender.

Profile photo of OriginalsinnerOriginalsinner
    Participant
    @originalsinner

I had something happen with a different major bank some time ago. I was buying my first house (PPOR) and was a bit strapped for cash. Got pre-approval, signed contract subject to finance, then asked the bank to knock off the $600 application fee, as some other lending institutions were doing it. Nope, no chance. I might have been able to go and get finance with another lender in time, but at the time I just wanted it to go through. Told them at the time that this would be the first and last loan I’d get from them if they didn’t knock off the fee. They were fine with that. I still keep a savings account with them, and since I sold the place, they’ve tried to market loans to me now and again, generally when I’m in there getting a bank cheque done to pay a deposit on a home or suchlike. I respond by telling them that story and asking if they’re going to refund me the $600 plus accrued interest, because that’s what it will take to get me to consider taking out a loan with them. They haven’t been interested so far, so stuff them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.