All Topics / Help Needed! / Brick layer in Melbourne SE for small job

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bbbb
    Participant
    @nbaic

Hi

We are removing an old box air conditioner and wanting to brick up the hole in the wall. (It’s a crying shame we had to cut a gaping hole in the side of the house to fit what is now outdated technology).

The job is small requiring only some 20 bricks (we will supply the bricks). Would love to hear the names of any brick layers who would take on a small job and do quality work. Ideally suited to a retired brickie who wouldn’t mind doing a small job.

Thanks
    bb

Profile photo of bbbb
    Participant
    @nbaic

I post this in the event it helps others. I sourced the job through the site http://www.serviceseeking.com.au. Within a couple of days I had four quotes, with the one I selected being able to start the next day. A good experience overall demonstrating the power of the internet to match demand against available (but often hide to find) capacity.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

also check the council / area’s local paper for smaller trade people who might be eager for any work rather than the bigger tradies that tell you they might be able to fit it in in 4 months time .

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

I sourced the job through the site http://www.serviceseeking.com.au.

I have had similar good results from that site on a couple of occasions. But then, I am sure some luck goes along with that.

On the most recent occasion, a friend had an issue with their hot water heater. A call from one of their respondees to our “call for help” indicated that I would likely be up for the cost of a new hot water cylinder (around $1500). My words to them indicated it was likely more electrical (from the fact the circuit breaker was tripping) and perhaps I needed a sparkie rather than a Plumber?

He affirmed that, for a HWC job, you need both – depending on the problem. Very few plumbers are licenced to do electrical work as well as plumbing.

Fortunately, the plumber I had used previously (also from that site) was still in my phone – so I called him. He put me onto his sparkie mate, and we soon had the electrician onsite. He swapped the old CB with a new one – there was evidence of heat around the contacts of the old one, causing it to trip. No need for a new HWC after all – and call out plus the fix was just $90. So, yeah – there are good ones out there, but when you get a good one, keep his phone # handy !! You never know when you might need them again,

Benny

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.