All Topics / Help Needed! / Unregistered easement for stormwater

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of rp2606rp2606
    Participant
    @rp2606

We have exchanged on a property in Sydney which is yet to settle. The person we purchased from told us that the stormwater runs through a number of neighbouring properties to a large drain in the lane way. In addition a neighbour further up the hill has their stormwater pipes coming through our yard. None of this is on title or anywhere in the contract of sale. It seems to be there are unregistered easements both burdening and benefitting our land. The only said they have been in place since she bought the property 41 years ago. How do we find out more about these and where they run? If I want to do a granny flat or dual occ development can I just tap into the existing stormwater or does it need to be registered?
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

Am interested to see what members will think. If I were you, I would probably discuss with my solicitor and the local council.

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Profile photo of Patrick OwPatrick Ow
    Participant
    @pengow

I wanted to know that information for my own property and I went to several places.

Try the following:
    (1) Dial before you dig website (https://www.1100.com.au/) – Gave me information about the connections to my property outside my property.
    (2) Local council – I purchased a complete set of maps giving me the information within the property itself. Depends on your council.
    (3) Water authorities – I called them up and was told of an easement at the back of my yard, running along my boundary fencing.

Please let me know how you go.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.