All Topics / Help Needed! / Should landlord pay for Stove and Dishwasher

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

I have tenant, who complained to me that his stove has been blocked due to food and he has tried to open it to fix it. Now he wants me to get a new stove and dish washer.

Can landlord refuse a new stove.

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Profile photo of Patrick OwPatrick Ow
    Participant
    @pengow

Hi Yellina

The starting point for me as a landlord is what items were provided to the tenants at the start of their tenancy. This information may not be in the tenancy agreement but could be in the marketing materials. That’s why we have to check the details of the advertising materials put out by our agents to ensure that there is no misrepresentation.

If there was to be a working stove and is no longer working, then as a landlord, I need to get the a new stove.

In the tenant’s desire to DIY, it may also cause more damage to the item or even void the warranty of the item if it is still under warranty.

All the best and do let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Yellina,

Can landlord refuse a new stove.

Yes, if the old stove was working and is not now, then replacement with another old (working) stove would be sufficient. The replacement wouldn’t have to be “new”.

But wait – have you had a repairman take a look? From your words, I could not understand just what might be “blocked and can’t open it”. Could it be this is a gas stove that has had food fall into the gas holes – in which case all that is required is for someone to unblock them.

If this were my rental, I would be taking a look myself, or sending a repairman before buying another stove. The repair might be just $100 – or free if you effected a repair yourself.

The dishwasher is something else. If the place doesn’t have a dishwasher, and the tenant wants one, maybe they can negotiate with you – i.e. If you had one installed, how much extra in rent would they want to pay? Me, I wouldn’t have one on my mind in a rental. But if the place DOES have a dishwasher, it was working and isn’t now, then you have some decisions to make. Get it fixed, replaced, or negotiate so that you don’t need to replace it. Your call.

Benny

Profile photo of JerryJerry
    Participant
    @jerry_o

I agree with Benny. Try to check it yourself if you can or get your Property Manager to have a look at it before replacing everything with new ones. Also investigate more on how this happened as the tenant could more likely be at fault here and not a normal wear and tear type of damage.

Jerry | Mortgage Station
    http://mortgagestation.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Finance Strategist - Active Investor - Serving clients Australia-wide - Based in Sydney / Melbourne

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

his stove has been blocked due to food and he has tried to open it to fix it.

Jerry is right – how did this happen, whatever it is? If he is the one using the stove, and food is blocking something, guess who might have made that happen?

Has he sent you pictures? How has he been using the stove?

Let me tell you of a young man who shared accommodation with me for a week as we were attending a training course for our employer. I arrived on the Sunday to find my new sharemate digging into a toaster with a knife, trying to dislodge a MESS !! I asked him what happened…

He had arrived earlier that day and wanted to make toasted sandwiches for lunch. He bought bread, butter, cheese and pineapple – created a cheese and pineapple sandwich, then JAMMED it into the toaster and pressed down the lever !!! It made one helluva mess – but that is what happens to some people who haven’t yet learned to live on their own – they make mistakes.

Could this tenant be making mistakes with your appliances?

Benny

Profile photo of Hari YellinaHari Yellina
    Participant
    @yellina

I myself live in a rental property all my properties are rented out. I have very old kitchen and i clean it after I cook. He was spilling milk and food while cooking and it got blocked. Kitchen is cleaned once a week or so by tenant

I think, If I replace a new one, he will wreck it in 2 – 3 years time.

I will send a technician and find out if the item is a damaged due to misue or wear and tear.

Hari Yellina
    Email Me

Keep Investing - Grow while Resting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.