All Topics / Help Needed! / How much equity do i need?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of danechchdanechch
    Participant
    @danechch

Hey guys,

I am new to property investment and looking at buying my first investment property but have no idea if I have enough equity or how much I need etc. I want to buy a townhouse around the 280k mark, I have my own house that got valued at 450k month or so ago and i owe 405k on it so 10% equity which is 45k. Is this enough to buy a 280k investment property or do I need more? Any help greatly appreciated!

Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

Hey guys,
    I am new to property investment and looking at buying my first investment property but have no idea if I have enough equity or how much I need etc. I want to buy a townhouse around the 280k mark, I have my own house that got valued at 450k month or so ago and i owe 405k on it so 10% equity which is 45k. Is this enough to buy a 280k investment property or do I need more? Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi Dan,

If your existing equity is only 10%, doubt you could use much of it, if it all. I personally wouldn’t bother unless the new valuation is much higher?

To buy an IP at the $280k mark, you would need at least 5% + the purchasing costs (which I usually calculate as 5%) = 10% = 28K.

Hope this helps? :-)

Cheers,
    Ethan

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Dane,
    Ethan’s comment “If your existing equity is only 10%, doubt you could use much of it, if at all” is good comment.

But if you want to know WHY that is so, do check out this post,
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410491-the-big-picture-for-new-readers-especially/page/2/#post-5023105

and click the link within it to learn even more. Once you see some examples, it will become a lot more clear,

Benny

Profile photo of sampson_701sampson_701
    Participant
    @sampson_701

I believe banks will let you use 80% of equity, some 90%

So 450-405=
    45k x .8 = 36k

Just my understanding.

Best advise I can give is get in touch with a good mortgage broker who can really help you out.

Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

The calculation is a bit different. 80% of 450k = 360k. Since the OP mortgage is already higher, that’s not an option. Need something like 95% and take LMI into consideration.

Definitely agree that best speak with a professional. It’s free and useful 😊

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.