All Topics / Finance / Line of Credit VS Offset account

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

If you can use a IO that can be redrawn and paid directly from the loan account then this would be even better.

Sorry, could you elobrate please.

You mention that money from an offset account would not be tax deductible, of course – but if you have a $100k loan with $100k in offset and you withdrew $20k to pay (as an example) a contribution toward your development, would the interest then not be tax deductible on the loan?

I’m trying to understand why an LOC which is secured against an O/OCC is disadvantageous for development/investment purposes. Does it become a disadvantage from a tax perspective if the funds are used for both personal and investment use?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Jon

Re the LOC – some lenders allow their IO loans to be used like LOCs. The main issue I see is people borrowing money, parking it in a savings account and then investing. This will render the interest non deductible or partially deductible because once the borrowed money hits the savings account and mixes with cash once you use the money you cannot say you are using the borrowed money – some of it will be cash.
    Case law for this is Domjan v FCT.

Some banks such as Westpac allow money to be transferred from the loan directly to the recipient. This is great so a LOC is not needed.
    Other banks such as ANZ or NAB do not allow this. Money cannot be paid from a loan, other than the LOC. So a borrower would need to set up a clean savings account, transfer the money there, then pay the investment expense from the savings account – and hope the ATO won’t be too strict if audited.

If you have an offset account on an investment property and a paid off main residence then using the funds in the offset account may be fine as the interest will increase on the loan and this interest would be deductible if the loan solely relates to the investment property. but it would be deductible against this property and not the property it is used for. Normally this won’t change anything, but if there are different entities involved it will – eg. husband owns IP 1 and offset account. Money taken out to purchase IP 2 in wife’s name. Husband will get the deductiion and not the wife.

If you want to use a LOC which is secured against a main residence this is fine. If you use the LOC for private expenses though it will be a mixed loan and this will create apportioning headaches, especially if you take money out and in more than once.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @wealthyjvd

Thanks for clarifying re: paying directly from loan. I can only assume you are assuming this is done through the + balance in redraw.

And thanks for clarifying the rest – my thoughts exactly!

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.