All Topics / General Property / Landlord rights in regards to maintenance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of k_21k_21
    Participant
    @k_21

Hi all,

I need your expertise please

We have an investment property that we used to live in but vacated due to the
    distance it was from our in-laws.

Have had tenants in there for the most part of 3yrs. There has been a few
    maintenance issues over those years that we have resolved.

However, recently there seems to be a long list of maintenance issues cropping
    up that no other tenants or us whilst living there seem to have experienced. Trying
    to get some ideas as to what as a landlord I have to fix and I don’t?

For example the latest issue I’m facing with my tenants are that they are stating the
    that the TV ‘cuts’ out when a light is turned on in the house. Now please keep in mind
    that this issue has never occurred whilst we lived at the house or the previous tenants.

I have sent out an electrician and they have confirmed that there is no issue with the
    electricity what so ever.

I also sent out a TV antenna person and he has advised that the antenna signal is weak and
    cabling is old. Has quoted me $400 to re-fit an external Antenna and re-cable. Now as you can
    appreciate that is a significant cost and I don’t particularly want to ‘upgrade’.

What are my rights here? And what experience do you have in this type of situation and what
    can you advise?

I’m a novice at this an need your expertise pls.

Thanks
    Devante.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Did your contract with the tenant include provisions for TV reception? Even if not the fact that a TV aerial where there when they moved in may mean you should repair the problem. How much would it cost you if they moved out and is it worth considering paying $400 to prevent this?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

I tend to agree with what Terryw said :-

How much would it cost you if they moved out and is it worth considering paying $400 to prevent this?

But first, do clarify for us if the current tenants are “recent additions”, or whether they have been with you for some time.

See, if they are recent, it may be that you might choose to not renew their lease if their requests continue to become silly (TV cuts out when a light is turned on…. REALLY????). Have you seen this? Could it be that the complaint is poorly worded – it may mean that the light being on overpowers a faint picture that really is just a TV issue (not the aerial at all).

Who owns the TV? You, or them? Now and then, a landlord needs to make a judgment call – and swallowing a $400 bill to keep a good tenant happy can be one of those. But don’t be fixing THEIR equipment for them (e.g. if the TV is theirs, and IT is the problem).

But then, you might offer to provide a TV and add $10 a week to the rent… if it makes sense to do so.

Good luck,

Benny

Profile photo of k_21k_21
    Participant
    @k_21

Thanks for all your replies.

To Clarify the tenants are over 12months and now on a month by month basis. We’ve had tenants prior
    to them in the property with no Major issues such as this.

The tenants own the TV.

Thanks again for all your advice

Devante.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

$400, really? What’s it going to cost to replace a tenant – letting fee, advertising and vacancy?

Just because you’d not had issues doesn’t mean that everything will last forever whether it be electrical, structural, waterproofing or whatever.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.