All Topics / Help Needed! / Unapproved granny flat – process to obtain approval Help

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of angelicangelic
    Participant
    @angelic

HI
    I am looking at an IP however it has an unapproved granny flat. Does anyone know the process to obtain approval? The house is effectively split into 2 units. I’m afraid ill have to do fire walls etc.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi angelic

Hate to say it might be worse than just fireproofing it.

If the Council doesn’t allow granny flats you may well receive a “Show Cause Notice” and be fined accordingly.

Even if approved you maybe restricted as to who can occupy the property i.e related member of the household from the primary residence.

Personally I would ask why you would buy a property with an unimproved structure when you could easily buy one that is approved.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BrettBrett
    Participant
    @jimchap131

How do you go about it? Short answer it depends on the individual circumstances.

I wouldn’t go anywehere near a property with a significant unapproved structure. Retrofitting fire separation between common walls is bloody expensive, there’s potential issues of permissibility and it may have been constructed in breach of Australian building codes.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

If it is in NSW and built to the BCA then it might be doable – I would go to http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/ and contace Serge – he is pretty much the man as far as I know for retro GF approvals, if it is in a state other than NSW sorry Im not sure.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of jetajeta
    Participant
    @classiceuropa

It will also depend on the set backs , does it apply to all set backs , If your council does approve granny flats then checkout there requirements to see if the current structure fits the setbacks , if its to close to the house you maybe required to put
    in a fire wall which will be expensive , you need to get on top of this before buying.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.