All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice needed after meeting with investment property advisor from Patrick Leo.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of FTIFTI
    Participant
    @1sttimer

Hi,
    My wife and I have been discussing buying an investment property for years and have finally decided to do it. We met with a property consultant from “Patrick Leo property services” who seems like a nice guy. He has recommended that we buy in the Sunshine coast. So my questions are, has anyone dealt with Patrick Leo property advisors and is the Sunshine coast Qld a good place to invest?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of AngelaAngela
    Participant
    @karsha

Lots of talk that Sunshine Coast is good area to buy but saying that a lot of people have been saying that for years. It is finally moving but need to be in right area.. Personally would not buy from any ‘property service mob’ did once never again. If they tell you of a property and price just do your own due diligence look in realestate.com and investigate other similar properties in the area so you know you are not paying too much. Make sure property is positively geared and yield is good. As you are a first time investor do not buy units close to city (unless) you are sure there is no over supply issue and do not buy in mining town good yield at first but if mine goes so does your money. I would listen to what he says but if it appears really really really good would be suspicious… just some thoughts.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

First question: How does Patrick Leo get paid? If they get a sales commission from the developer/builder of new stock BE VERY CAREFUL. This means you are not the client, you are the stock on the shelf being sold to the real client who is the one paying the bills.

Learning the jargon and the who’s who in the industry is vital if you want to avoid sharks and rip offs. These guys may be good at what they do or may not, but my problem with buying brand new properties for investment (for most people) is that there is no opportunity for value add or negotiating discounts to market, so it is the slow boat to china in terms of capital gains usually. There are times where new makes sense but this is primarily for very high income, very busy execs who want to soak up tax and have zero effort/time/input in the journey. Average punters usually do better with 2nd hand property bought at fair or slight discount to market, plus some basic cosmetic value add strategies like minor renovations. It all depends how fast you want to grow your equity.

Secondly, if you are considering locations and markets generally, there are loads of things to consider, but it would seem you need to actually go back a few steps. What are you trying to achieve with this property? In what timeframe? Start with your big picture goals, then you look for markets that have the right metrics to fit that. There is no one perfect property or market for everyone. It all depends. In general hunt for proximity to infrastructure, jobs, major projects, lifestyle destinations, areas with limited land supply, close to water etc etc. Low vacancy rates are essential but there are heaps of other metrics to consider too. Just my 2c – All the best!

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I’m with @buyersagent

I can’t speak directly about the company you’re referring to OP – I have no idea what they do or what they offer.

However – I do know that there are a lot of companies selling off the plan properties in QLD – and at times – they are sold for a large mark-up due to the layers of middlemen getting paid.

Do your research thoroughly before making any decisions.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi FTI

Whereabouts did he suggest you purchase and what sort of property.

I have a couple of properties on the SC and be interested to see where an organisation like that is recommending.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Was that person a property advisor or a sales person in disguise? The differences is mainly the fact that the sales person has already decided what you need before they have met you or know anything about you.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FTIFTI
    Participant
    @1sttimer

Hi guys, thanks for all of your replies. To answer some of your questions, he has been upfront about the fact that they get paid by the developer. As a company they bought a number of town house style properties all in a row. The place recommended to us is a four bedroom, double storey with 2 and 1/2 baths, double garage, with a alfresco area at the rear in Meridan plains,which is near a lot of recently built our being built infrastructure like the sunshine coast uni hospital. I have looked in the area on realestate.com and there are a few existing places in the same estate for sale, some bigger and more expensive, some similar size, as in 4 beds etc, but they have a largeish back yard, some smaller and a bit cheaper. So i think his pricing is Ok? My main concern is a four bed will be marketed at a family, but they will have no back yard for the kids. Then again people want ease of living without having to do much work in the garden, so I’m not sure?
    He was recommended to us via our superannuation guy, (who has looked after us for years), who is affiliated with the same larger company. They are both basically sub contrator types for want of a better term. The main reason I’m fairly confident that he will try to give us something decent is we are still fairly young and he knows that we may well buy more off him down the track if we decide to buy this one and it goes well and our super guy knows that he will lose our buisness if we get ripped off.
    It’s a huge decision so in just trying to get as much info as i can before we decide to go ahead or not.

Thanks again,
    Scott

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like the sales person has already decided what you need before they have met you or know anything about you.

Sounds like your superannuation guy is looking out for himself too. What is his commission?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

Wow, I thought the industry got cleaned up from these kind of spruikers. Can’t believe people can be sooooooo gullible to believe this stuff.

“He was recommended to us via our superannuation guy, (who has looked after us for years), who is affiliated with the same larger company”

This is the red light Scott —- run, run!

scotthochgesang
    Participant
    @scotthochgesang

First thing in this situation is to confirm if there is any financial relationship with your financial advisor and the property firm? If there is it should be declared upfront. And you should know if a payment is being made for the referral to the “property expert”.

I know the Sunshine Coast very well. As have made about 20 trips up there over the last 2 years.

Happy to have a chat if you want to give me a ring. Just drop me an email for details as don’t want to post a number here.

Scott in Balmain
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TracaTraca
    Participant
    @traca

Hi Scott, did you end up going with them?
    I am now in the same situation and they are still promoting QLD properties…

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Traca,
    Before going with this group (they may be OK or they may not be – I don’t know them) do use the checklist in the following link to appraise their operation.

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/5023872-property-investment-firms-advice-needed-please/#post-5023875

The post linked above goes into depth re “How you can tell if the group looking to advise you re property should be believed”. Does this group tick the right boxes in your eyes? If not, run a mile.

Benny

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Hi Traca,
    If they are still receiving commissions from builder/developer they are still NOT acting in your interest. All of the original advice provided by myself and the other posters in 2016 should still apply. Commissions are higher than ever which can result in nasty high pressure tactics. See recent articles about some commissions on units. https://www.afr.com/companies/financial-services/developers-offer-advisers-90-000-to-flog-high-rise-apartments-20190813-p52gk1

The take home message is still the same as Benny says, do your research, ask good questions and either be prepared to do things yourself or else build a team of actual professionals who will do quality work for the fees they charge you. If using a Buyer’s Agent they really should be REBAA accredited for example this will ensure they are not selling property as it is part of the code of conduct.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.