All Topics / Value Adding / Renovating a weatherboard

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of jojojojo
    Participant
    @melbjo

I mean this only as a general question. I have never done any renovation before, but I was looking at doing a (simplish) (cosmetic) renovation on a nice brick house. But in my search I have come across a couple of sweet weatherboard homes in need of a lot of renovation, where the numbers seemed to work.

So in preference to ignoring them for no real reason, I thought I might ask in a general way what to look out for when buying an old weatherboard in serious need of renovation, and what differences I might expect? Or links to some kind of resource would be great too.

(Personally, I am planning to tackle painting myself but get professionals to do the rest. But if they are asbestos walls… maybe I shouldn’t be the one to paint either?)

Profile photo of jetajeta
    Participant
    @classiceuropa

Theres weatherboard and weatherboard.
    What kind of weatherboard are we talking.
    Asbestos
    cement sheet
    timber
    masonite

Your not going to really have any deteriorating issues with asbestos unless it has exposed fibres or blistering paint.
    Masonite needs to be well protected using paint or can be damaged , cement based sheeting will be fine unless its
    the first type that came on the market after asbestos was removed which just crumbles away and timber if not
    maintained could have rot.

So really it comes down to each property , how they have been maintained and a good inspection.
    Ive done all above except timber weatherboard and found it easy enough with just a DIY certificate .

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of jeta jeta. Reason: Bordering issues
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.