All Topics / Help Needed! / Rental for 12 months. Should I get a depreciation report?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of JZ_33JZ_33
    Participant
    @jz_33

I just purchased a two bedroom apartment in a relatively old unit block (35 years) and as part of the contract with the vendor, I have allowed him to stay on and rent the apartment back for a period of up to 12 months while he is looking to buy a house elsewhere.

Considering that I plan to move in around 12 months time or so, I’m wondering if it is worthwhile getting a depreciation report done for the property. Everything in the apartment is super dated from the carpet to the kitchen, bathroom etc. And whilst I know a depreciation report captures much more than that, I’m wondering if I will be better off just getting my accountant to depreciate the ‘simpler’ things, or pay the extra few hundred $$ for a quantity surveyor to capture everything.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of D.T.D.T.
    Participant
    @dtraeger

Yes, I would.

Depreciation schedule for a pre-1988 place should be $330 which is tax deductible in itself, and surely the first year’s worth of depreciation would be into the 4 figures.

D.T. | DT Property Management
    http://www.dtproperty.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Adelaide Property Management - whole Adelaide metro

Profile photo of daniel vicdaniel vic
    Participant
    @daniel-vic

I agree with dt every small bit helps at tax time

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.