All Topics / General Property / Next step in property purchasing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DolamootDolamoot
    Participant
    @dorrace

I just bought a small house on the northern nsw coast for $115,000 and its renting for a nice $240 a week my mortgage repayments are under $115.
    My borrowing capacity is around 400-450,000 but this purchase hasn’t adversely affected my borrowing capacity my broker worked out each purchase like this one will lower it by $15,000 at worst due to positive cashflow,
    It’s been set up on a 80% lvr low doc loan at 5% fixed for 2 years
    What I am unsure about is wether to buy 1-2 more in that area this year or put it towards a slightly more expensive and lower return property a bit closer down the coast around Newcastle , I can pick something up for around 450,000 and I have just enough deposit $90,000 cash and it will be slightly negatively geared but I would feel a little more comfortable with it as it’s closer to home and I already have a property in that area that has performed well . The new area I bought in is 5 hours out of Sydney and its daunting a lot of the houses are rundown a little (holes in walls and gutters falling apart are standard) but the rental returns are good I have another property lined up there for about 125k with 230 a week rent I’ve had building inspection done and it’s decent I don’t know if I should wait a few months to see how I go with my first purchase or to push on till I get 3-4 more properties in the next 12 months each new property brings and average $100 after mortgage repayments and after all expenses I would be left with around 50-60$ net a week

It’s so hard to personally inspect the properties and I’ve built a good relationship with the building and peat inspector he’s pretty much my eyes and ears in the area, my business partner is a workaholic and when he works I work so it’s hard to get time
    Off work. After making my offer and being accepted it took a month and a half to put my deposit down and sign the contract and it still hasn’t been exchanged it should happen this week .

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I would say spread your risk rather than put all your eggs in one basket. Your other option doesn’t have to be Newcastle though…

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Personally – if it were me – I’d look to diversify rather than have a cluster of cheaper IP’s in a regional area.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DolamootDolamoot
    Participant
    @dorrace

Thanks for the input and i have decided to hold out of that area for atleast a year, I will probably pick up one or two long lease commercial properties in that time closer to home even if they are close to neutral gearing. Might offer the tenants a vendor finance deal after a couple of months.

Profile photo of BatNaileyBatNailey
    Participant
    @batnailey

I think you should talk to a buyers agent. If you get the right one, they can look at different property options, investment return, risks, they can negotiate for you. It only costs if you transact, they normally don’t charge you unless you purchase a property. They take the emotion out of the purchase, you’ll get sound financial advise. Some are also licensed valuers, so they make sure you don’t pay too much. there would be one near you, but I am in Adelaide and we used Property Buyers Agent SA. pbasa.com.au good luck.

Profile photo of DolamootDolamoot
    Participant
    @dorrace

I just might have to find a buyers agent I’ll look around the forum and make a post I’m from Sydney , running my own business is time consuming and I don’t have as much time as I would like to view properties

Profile photo of jetajeta
    Participant
    @classiceuropa

I don’t see how buying another in the same area is going to be a cluster for you , if the numbers add up why not.
    I have many in one spot and never had issue. I always look for positive geared (has to be large positive geared) and
    at a good deal before I buy and always under $200,000 , at the moment exchanging on a $105,000 2 bed unit county
    regional renting $215 a week,last sold 2007 $125,000 was in my watch list for 6 months and watched it drop before
    I offered $105 and stood my ground.The positive cash flow will go on to the added mortgage repayments.

Using real-estate.com watch list , look around save your searches which look good and if there still on the
    market later on , you then can low ball. currently have over 100 in my watch list.
    Yes they will never be killer capital gains but they will pay for them selves much faster.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of jeta jeta.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of jeta jeta.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.