All Topics / Help Needed! / Calling the council for planning advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of happyhopperhappyhopper
    Participant
    @happyhopper

Hi I am new to this, appreciate any input I can get. I am considering a knock down rebuild on my property 560 sqm but not sure of ccouncil restrictions etc. I have looked at website already but cannot find anything specific. Would like to call council to discuss but my delimema, I’m worried that they might look into the property and discover some work we did on the current property ie carport extension… which would be a big hassle. Can anyone explain what it is the council will be looking into if I call? Will they look at a satellite view perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of PimobpiPimobpi
    Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi & welcome to the site. I am sure that you’ll learn heaps & be glad that you asked questions.

I’m in favor of being honest & transparent but an idea would be to call the council (or go there) & ask them for information on the very street / nearby street that you live in. Perhaps give them an example of a similar sized block.

If they ask, say that you like the area & are thinking of buying property there sometime in the future to knock down & develop etc. You want to know what you can or cannot do (you are performing due diligence & many investors / developers do exactly this before they buy). I’ve done this myself many times, act like an investor / developer.

Just use email or pick-up info by hand. Give them a friends or relatives mailing address if you really have to supply it (but I doubt it).

I don’t know how your council will treat non permit works on carport extensions (or whether they will look for unapproved modifications) but you don’t need to disclose your address yet – so don’t. Only put yourself in a risk situation if you really need to (that advice goes for everything, even situations that are non property related).

Engage a professional (builder, surveyor, town planner etc) once you need specific information about your particular property however……the planning team, at council, should give you a lot of good information for free. They will give you information on restrictions for all the suburbs under their jurisdiction – I think that info is of more value to you as it will help you with what may be the best thing to build on your block after you demolish the current dwelling. They should be able to give you examples of what others have done on nearby streets & that’ll open up more options for you to consider.

I hope that my reply helps you.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of happyhopperhappyhopper
    Participant
    @happyhopper

That did help. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.