All Topics / Help Needed! / Block size

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of blakroz13blakroz13
    Participant
    @blakroz13

Howdy,

I have only joined recently and been reading some of the posts and have a couple of questions I thought I would ask. Firstly my situation, my father passed away recently leaving me with a PPOR and an IP fully paid off (if which I am very thankful for). But my questions come around to my next purchase.

My financial planner has advised me to purchase 1 – 2 properties (along with some other non property investments) in the next year or so and recommends them to be ‘new builds’ so I have been researching some in areas I think would be suitable but am finding them to be only small block sizes (around 300 – 400m2). This is obviously due to the price range I am looking at but is it too small? I personally wouldn’t buy something that small to live in but, is it ok for a rental?

I am not looking to make a quick profit – just something to slowly build wealth over the next 10 – 20 years setting myself up for retirement.

Appreciate any feedback/thoughts.

Nick

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of blakroz13 blakroz13.
    Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

“My financial planner has advised me to purchase 1 – 2 properties (along with some other non property investments) in the next year or so and recommends them to be ‘new builds’ so I have been researching some in areas I think would be suitable but am finding them to be only small block sizes (around 300 – 400m2). ”

Familiar story,,, a financial planner pushing property – ask them why new builds? have they disclosed how they are getting paid? If they are referring to H&L – I personally don’t like it for investment. Be skeptical and seek a second opinion.

Cheers Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

If the only tips your financial planner gave you was to buy property and to make it new build then he clearly isn’t much of a help in real estate is he?

I don’t believe people should buy new or build themselves unless they understand what they are doing and why. Building is time consuming and expensive and risky unless you totally know and trust the builder. Not saying it cant work just that it adds a layer of risk.

Buying established property is far safer for 4/5 people.

Before you even decide on new vs old you should decide WHY you are doing this – you have said its for retirement. TICK. Second decide what your long term goals are. You said 10-20 yrs that is a big difference lets narrow that down to a more concrete number. Once you done that you should decide on what income you want to be generating and how property fits into that. Remember property has costs like insurance, rates etc so your gross rental figure is not what will be left each yr when you are living on it. Once you know the desired income then you work out roughly how many properties you will need generating x amount of rent each. This will guide your purchasing strategy, whether it is new builds, renovations, buy and hold, etc etc.

The extra thinking and education at this end will save you years of pain later, so stick with it.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of blakroz13blakroz13
    Participant
    @blakroz13

Thanks for the replies guys and yes, a lot to think about. The financial planner has provided some additional advice/information that I have not included in here (which in hindsight, probably should have). So in terms of ‘New Build’ my termonology may not be exactly correct – I was referring to properties within say a 0 – 3 years old age bracket (not building from scratch) – their information was in relation to being able to ‘claim’ the depreciation on the property for longer.

Re the retirement part – I would be saying closer to the 20 year mark. But I do have a lot more thinking required to understand exactly what I am ‘working towards’. As, at the moment, I am just trying to use the money/equity my father has left me in the best possible way.

Thanks for the help thus far guys – any additional info would be greatly appreciated :)

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Whilst I understand from the planners perspective the basic numbers crunched make a ‘newer’ property appear to be the best option due to depreciation – in reality you need to weigh up the fundamentals of a new build vs older property for future growth, yield etc. Never buy an investment property for depreciations sake – it’s icing on the cake and shouldn’t be treated as anything else.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.