All Topics / Finance / Creating borrowing power

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DolamootDolamoot
    Participant
    @dorrace

Hi guys
    So long story short last year
    My business only turned over $30,000 this year I’m expecting atleast double that but I want to buy a second investment property before the financial year ends, I have $110,000 in my offset its a joint purchase that another family member put the deposit on which was $150,000 and the repayments were up to me but its positively geared because of the 50% deposit so it’s just my life savings pretty much.

The banks are only willing to lend me up to $100,000 and that’s if I pay off my car loan of $25,000 in full. I bought the car last September with the intention of paying it off before the end of next year so I don’t end up paying too much interest ,it’s a 5 year loan I just wanted to keep liquid cash on hand and that’s the only reason I financed it.

The situation is as follows , I am looking to build some cashflow through high yielding properties in the
    Kempsey area , capital growth isn’t a concern at the moment just the ability to service future loans without picking my own pockets too much, set and forget. I’m looking at properties in the 100-110k mark I have one I’m currently negotiating .

Now my options are
    1) I pay for the property with cash and have it outright owned , get $215 a week rent which works out to be around the 10% yield mark. Then Wait till the financial year ends and I have my tax return with a bigger turnover for the year and then use the equity in that property , keep my car loan for another year and hopefully I save 10-15k for a deposit on a second Kempsey property for next financial year financed with the first as collateral.

2) I pay the car loan off with my cash reserve and go back to the bank before financial year ends and take out a 100k loan and put my 20% deposit on the house im negotiating and let the equity build then go ahead with purchasing a 2nd after financial year ends using the leftover cash as a 2nd deposit.

I understand it probably benefits more paying the car loan off because I can’t claim the interest where as I can claim it on the house, but from what I understand a fully paid off house worth 100k is better then 100k cash because it’s a cashflow producing asset and I imagine the bank will give me more borrowing power with the rental income

My third option is leave everything until next financial year save a bit more, get a bigger loan and buy something a little closer to home next to my existing property with lower rental returns. Or just two properties with the bigger loan in Kempsey but the sooner I buy the sooner I start earning on rent.

Profile photo of DolamootDolamoot
    Participant
    @dorrace

Also just pointing out I rather purchase in Kempsey for now , a quick look and you will find that the land values given by government are so low you literally have to own 30 blocks of land before you reach the land tax threshold (almost $4million worth of property on the current market)that’s a no brainer for me .

Also I’m tending more towards option 1 because there’s a possibility I could squeeze in a second property in Kempsey before the financial year ends with a loan from the bank using the first as collateral.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Dolamoot Dolamoot. Reason: Extra content
    Profile photo of D.T.D.T.
    Participant
    @dtraeger

I think your best bet is to focus on earning more.

D.T. | DT Property Management
    http://www.dtproperty.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Adelaide Property Management - whole Adelaide metro

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Or alternatively look at a Non Coded Nodoc Loan.

Sure the interest rate won’t be nice but if it is merely until the end of the new financial year so a matter of months doesn’t matter in the scheme of things.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @dorrace

Ah I’m in the dilemma of negotiating right now I put my offer of $105,000 on Sunday around 2pm ,this morning I get a call of a counter offer of undisclosed value it’s listed for 109,000 but I call bullshit and they are trying to milk me I got back a few hours later increasing the offer to 107,000 and I’ll give 2 days for the agent to call I mean it’s only another $2,000 to listing price which I’m sure is what they are trying to get my core logic data tells me it’s a high confidence estimate at 108,500 it went up $1000 in the space of 1 week of watching the property on core logic.

I’m going to buy this then hit the bank in a month for a loan I’ve found some promising properties in broken hill under 80k with 10% returns as well and cheaper land rates and costs but I’ll need to look into it a bit more , market research is key. Will let you guys know what happens by the end of the week.

Participant
    @dorrace

Could you elaborate on non coded ? What exactly do you mean by that and would a conventional bank offer it I’m pretty chummy with my loan manager it’s an old friend of the family so I’d imagine they would tell me more options if they were available to me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Your loan manager will NOT offer a Nodoc Non Coded loan.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.