All Topics / Help Needed! / Property cycle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of NewcoolkidNewcoolkid
    Participant
    @newcoolkid

Hello, I’m looking at buying my first investment. I was wondering where you think the Gold Coast is on the property cycle. I need my first investment to be positive cash flow and a good one in order to help me obtain a expanding portfolio. I have two young children and a very physical demanding job, so it doesn’t leave me with much energy or time as I would like for research. I know it sounds like excuses and I do dedicate as much time as possible. I would just like as much help as I can get. Many hands make light work. Thank you

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Check out Herron Todd White’s month in review on line – it usually does a good job of illustrating where capital and regional markets are at.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Cool, Jamie – thanks for the tip.

For others, here is a link to HTW’s Download site :-
    http://www.htw.com.au/downloads.aspx

Feb 2016 shows Brisbane and Gold Coast at 9 o’clock = Rising Market.

Others are :-
    Tasmania is at 7:30 = Start of Recovery.
    Also at 9 o’clock (Rising Market) are Mid and Far North Coast of NSW, Adelaide, and SEQ as mentioned
    Melbourne is at noon = Peak of Market
    Sydney and Canberra are at 1:30 o’clock = starting to decline

There are plenty more, so do check out the file.

Of interest to me was that for UNITS, Brisbane is showing as “Peak of Market” but Gold Coast is still “Rising Market”. This has to reflect the immense “over-building” of apartments in Brisbane in the last year or two. Melbourne and Sydney too? I didn’t check…

Benny

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

GC is in ok part of cycle for buying after 8yrs limited growth but huge due diligence required as there is so much rubbish stock. You need to know what sub location, property type and price point to buy into to get the best opportunities.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of NewcoolkidNewcoolkid
    Participant
    @newcoolkid

What do you mean as in rubbish stock? I have been looking around Nerang. What are your thoughts

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Well part of the problem is most sellers in Australia provide you with Gross returns however these sort of returns are useless only the net returns count. In the Gold coast many of the apartment complexes have huge body corporate fees. One of the largest towers charge $40 a month just for statements. So look carefully at body corporate. do not buy new or off the plan you will pay through the nose. Look for even older hoe within walking distance to the beach that could possible be redeveloped. I Importantly look at as much as possible before making any decision.

Finally do not listen to crap especially from marketing companies. They will tell you to buy new for better tax deductions. New property can be like buying a new car you are paying for the development profit and yes the values can fall.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Nigel Kibel Nigel Kibel.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Dave WardDave Ward
    Participant
    @dave-ward

Hi Newcoolkid,

I think Ripehouse.com.au is the tool you are looking for. HTW has property clock information available, however the data published is delayed by sometimes up to 6 weeks from the time the results have been calculated. A lot can change in a market in that period of time, so there is always an inherent risk for investors using this information as a tool to make decisions on.

The only product in the market that publishes live property clock data is Ripehouse. It seems they have just launched this tool in the past few weeks and I have never seen anything like it in the market and have been investing for nearly 20 years now. The platform itself is an excellent tool and I would highly recommend it to investors to make more informed investment choices.

I think you can contact the founder if you have more questions about its functionality, but certainly worth checking out for the data and research tools you asked about.

Dave Ward | Geronimo Finance
    http://www.geronimofinance.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Investor, Property Investment Expert & Advisor, Finance Expert & Strategist

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi CoolKid,

What do you mean as in rubbish stock? I have been looking around Nerang.

I won’t guess what “BuyersAgent” meant, and he will likely reply soon anyway. For mine though, the Gold Coast has LONG been a haven for some unscrupulous figures and/or companies. Their modus operandi is to FLY buyers in from cities lke Sydney and Melbourne (for FREE – yer, right!!!) and SELL them poorly built new houses/apartments at over-the-top prices.

Usually these would all be new and often OTP (off the plan – i.e. doesn’t exist yet), in greenfield estates commonly. Now, I don’t know if Nerang was ever a place where this went on – others might be able to help. If it was, it could go back 30 years or more. Ones I can mention currently are Coomera and now Pimpama. They are often characterised by being minimal land sizes, often in areas that still have little infrastructure, and their initial sale will be showing a “higher-than-usual price”.

I would think your best defence when buying any older property is simply due diligence – check a house’s price against other similar properties thru several RE agencies.

Be sure to have a proper Building Inspection as part of your contract conditions, then PORE OVER the report the Inspector will provide you. Talk to neighbours and shop owners in the area where you are looking to buy, questioning them about their place (e.g. did they buy their house new, who from, good deal or not, was their house good value from day one, etc). Do they know any stories of marketeers who might have “come unstuck” in that area…. etc.

Some areas are old enough now to have become good value (infrastructure is now in place, early owners have worn the cost of the “too expensive OTP house”, and any structural problems have been fixed by them or subsequent owners). So, don’t let the history of an area throw you completely – a house will be good value, or not – and usual DD will identify this.

Let’s see what “BuyersAgent” may have been thinking….

Benny

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.