All Topics / Help Needed! / time to sell one of our investments?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Karen and JuneKaren and June
    Participant
    @karen-and-june

we started out in investment property 7 years ago. we owned most of our ppor except for a line of credit which we used to finance a business. we then borrowed against the equity in the ppor to buy another house which we moved into and made the first one into our investmant property. we then borrowed from equity in both to buy a third property with a 10% deposit (of cash) but with the same bank. they joined all the 3 loans together. we then bought a third IP with no deposit using equity from the first 3. people are telling us that we should not be doing this. We have no tennant in our 2nd IP at present and we are thinking of selling it to pay off one of the loans and release some equity to put a cash deposit on another property with a different bank. my question is; what is the problem with having all the loans linked together? my partner thinks that even if we go to a different bank with a cash deposit, that if for some reason we can’t pay for one of the loans that the second bank can forclose on us and sell the properties that the first bank has mortgages over. i’m confused. can anyone help?

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hi there – there is a number of threads on x-collat – try a search and there will be a number of threads.

Cheers

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Karen and June,
    It is a big subject – try this link as a starter:-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410491-the-big-picture-for-new-readers-especially/#post-4697974

That post also has another link that expands on the subject – once you have read all of these, you may have a pretty good idea of what is going on, and you may not need to search much more. But you will still face an uphill battle to “uncross” if selling one. Good luck,

Benny

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Karen and June

If you want to flick me an email i will send you an article i wrote for the API magazine on why you should not cross collateralise your loans.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.