All Topics / General Property / Does a 4 bedroom house need a 2nd bathroom for competing in rental market?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of GabsyGabsy
    Participant
    @gabsy

Hi all, we are shopping for our first investment property.

I have seen a neat but unrenovated 4 bedroom house I’m interested to look more closely at, however it has only one bathroom.
    How important is it from a rental point of view that a 4 bedroom house has a second bathroom? The toilet is separate and there is a 2nd toilet attached to the garage, accessed by walking 2-4 metres out the back door.

In this case would the priority be to find a place for a second toilet in the house, or a complete bathroom, perhaps lose the 4th bedroom to create space for it?

I’m looking at the floor plan and wondering how on earth I could add an ensuite to the largest bedroom and it doesn’t appear obvious as the main bedroom is only 3.8×3.3 and shares a wall with the existing bathroom and the hallway. Are there any tips on this when looking at a floor plan?

Would it make any difference what so ever if it was advertised as a 3bd plus study?

Obviously Im new to this but very keen to learn and appreciate all thoughts.

Thanks

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Gday @gabsy welcome. Lots to learn in the forums so keep up the good research work.

My short answer would be yes. The long answer is it depends. It is actually more about resale than rent, but it applies to both. If its cheap enough for you to be able to discount the rent you will still get a tenant, but it is likely to be a lower socioeconomic tenant needing the 4th bed (ie family with kids and low income) if the investment works under those terms, go for it, but to be considered a quality 4 bedder in any good area and get top dollar rent and top dollar resale (no idea where you are talking about btw that would help) you need 2nd bathroom. It can be built later though, no need for straight away. If you have a floor plan put it up or email me we can see if another set of eyes can solve it.

Matt

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Gabsy

Don’t advertise it as a 3 bedder plus study. If the fourth room is big enough to be a bedroom then call it a bedroom. People that only needed 3 bedrooms can see it as a bonus room for guests, storage, play room, home office, or whatever.

It makes letting a bit easier to have the second bathroom, but I’d take a well located 4 bedder with one bathroom over a poorly located 4 bedder with 2 bathrooms.

If the property is near facilities that tenants need there shouldn’t be too much issue leasing it out. The presence of a second bathroom and under cover car parking is a factor but not a deal breaker. Often the man of the household will be unhappy there is no garage for him, but ultimately beggers cannot be choosers. If a family needs to rent somewhere they must take what is on offer. You’d also be surprised how many single mothers are out there with 3 kids. Bang, right there is the need for 4 bedrooms. But no man on the scene wanting a garage.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Have you thought of adding a small second bathroom ?

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.