All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Licensing may be required for repair work to rental properties by owner

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    Participant
    @xenia-alexarealestate

OK – this is from a good friend of mine who is into property manager training (actually he used to be employed as a general manager in my company).

From his post on the SA property management community on FB:

So South Aussie Property Managers….
    Owners may NOT be able to do their own repairs after all!
    Here’s further proof that my ‘source’ might be right!
    An owner of a rental property is unable to perform repairs if they DO NOT have a licence as a building contractor!
    Apparently a landlord is being taken to court as we speak having ‘breached’ this new piece of legislation.
    Read it for yourself! I just tried CBS to clarify, but phones are in after-hours of course!
    If someone could clarify this with CBS further, that’d be great!
    Oh the fun this will give property managers letting their owners know.
    Times like these I wish I was a PM again!

and here is the link: https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/business-industry-and-trade/licensing-and-regulation/licensing/construction/building-work-contractor-s-licence

Xenia | Alexa Real Estate Pty Ltd
    http://www.alexarealestate.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Adelaide Property Manager

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    Participant
    @xenia-alexarealestate
    Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Xenia,
    Wow !! After a bit of a look, it seems to indicate that if I was a landlord in SA, I cannot paint my own IP, nor replace a broken paling in a fence, and I think it also mentions Paving, so I can’t fix a broken paver….

I sincerely hope that no other State Govts are thinking of following their lead!! The quote “Bureaucracy gone mad” comes to mind. Or is “revenue raising” a more apt quote? Sheesh.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Xenia. Are SA landlords looking to riot in the streets any time soon?

Benny

Profile photo of DeanCollinsDeanCollins
    Participant
    @deancollins

Agree @benny this is ridiculous

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

All a lot of misunderstood bruha. It’s related to building work over a certain threshold ($12,000 if I remember correctly), as per norm.

Much ado about nothing.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Corey,

It’s related to building work over a certain threshold ($12,000 if I remember correctly), as per norm.

Ah, thanks mate !! Yes, that does sound like “as per normal”. I have turned off the pacemaker now….. ;)

Benny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.