All Topics / Help Needed! / Self Managed Property Issues

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of dtrain28dtrain28
    Participant
    @dtrain28

Hi All,

I am currently managing my own property. The renter originally said they had 1 rabbit & 1 old dog, which were all to be outside. From speaking with the neighbour recently, I have been told the pet situation is more like 6 rabbits, 2 dogs, 2 cats & 4 birds.

I can’t inspect the property for another 2 months. Has anyone had any experience with this previously?

Cheers,

Profile photo of JoJo
    Participant
    @jodyt

If you live locally pay the neighbour a visit and have a peak over the fence

Profile photo of dtrain28dtrain28
    Participant
    @dtrain28

Said neighbour is actually my brother. Her previously landlord said she had no issues in 7 years with her & always kept the place tidy & paid rent on time.

It’s more the animals inside I’m worried about.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

This is why I never self manage. Do you have a clause in the lease preventing pets? Make sure you review the tenancy act in your state and follow legal avenues to the letter. If it ends up in tribunal you need a paper trail of letters sent etc. If mailing, keep copies and possibly use registered post, if emailing, keep copies of it all, keep it professional but firm. Not sure if you are allowed to issue a breach notice based upon information received anecdotally. Check the act.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

In this same situation myself and have been for years…
    Tenant says they have no pets, then I find out they have 2 or 3 and they are inside. The lesson I have learnt over the years, across many of my investment properties, is to not sweat the small things. Ask yourself: are they paying the rent on time? have they ever missed a payment? are the pets causing any damage to the inside of the property? Then get photographic proof for when the vacate.

It is one of the joys of being a property manager – Mine are all managed by a real estate and I still have the same problem. Breach the tenant or evict them and it costs you money advertising the property, plus any agent fees. Weigh it all up is my opinion.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

This is why I never self manage.

Ditto.

Been there – done that, won’t do it again.

A “good” property manager will take care of this for you.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of dtrain28dtrain28
    Participant
    @dtrain28

Cheers for the replies.

Having a PM won’t change the pet factor. I personally know people who rent through agents that have multiple pets that the agent doesn’t know about.

All I can do is see what the place looks like upon inspection. Currently they are paying rent so that is a bonus.

Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

Thinking outside the box – have your brother complain to the council about the pets. I doubt that many pets is allowed in a city suburb.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.