All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Two 'closing costs' – or three !?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

Thinking of buying my first PPoR. I was looking at two websites: one was CBA; the other just one of many that use the same NSW NSW stamp duty calcuation.

The bank totals up ALL of the following:

1. $110 – Registration of mortgage (register mortgage on title of property).
    2. $110 – Registration of discharge of mortgage (remove seller’s existing mortgage from property title).
    3. $219 – Registration of transfer (transfer property title from seller to buyer).

However consumer sites, along with their stamp duty calculators, are only listing two of these.

Will I be paying all three?

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Allan,

I would think the reason the other calcs only use two of them are that this one :-

2. $110 – Registration of discharge of mortgage (remove seller’s existing mortgage from property title).

…sounds like it would be paid by a seller of a property, not by a buyer.

You should likewise NOT be paying that one, until you have made your equity gains and want to move it on in years to come.

Benny
    PS But then, I am not a qualified adviser, so do check this.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will pay all 3 but the seller will reimburse you for the discharge of their mortgage.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

You will pay all 3 but the seller will reimburse you for the discharge of their mortgage.

Glad the government keeps things nice and simple. I was going to ask what’s the point, but that’s just as pointless – LOL.

Thanks.

Is anyone aware of a website that lists ALL the costs in buying a (NSW) residential property? Just when I think I’ve covered every expense (in a spreadsheet), I find another site that mentions another expense. And because they don’t call things the same name, I’m never sure if I’ve got everything – or – if I have the same thing listed more than once.

Here’s my current list of NSW costs to buy a home:

Property Price
    Deposit Saved
    Stamp Duty (OSR)
    Mortgage Registration
    Discharge Registration
    Registration Transfer
    Conveyancing
    Bank Loan Application Fee
    Pest & Building Inspection (are these done by the same person?)
    Lenders Mortgage Insurance
    Personal Mortgage Insurance
    Bank Document Preparation Fee
    Bank Valuation Fee
    Title Insurance
    Vendor Council & Water Rates (to vendor as a refund apparently!?)
    Buyer Council & Water Rates (ongoing after settlement)
    Legal Searches & Inquiries
    Building & Contents Insurance

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of JustAllan JustAllan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.