All Topics / Help Needed! / Reliable Median Price Source

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Steve_HSteve_H
    Participant
    @stevehank

Hi,
    So much of what I have read has stressed the importance of buying at or below the Median Price for the house type in an area.
    However, I am finding disparity between median prices and would like to know which source to trust.
    If I use the example of Woodville Gardens in Adelaide, that I have just been looking at.
    Realestate.com.au shows the median price for a 3 bedroom house at $295k which I think is a load of rubbish, as if you look at the past sales, there was only one house sold below $300k in the last 12 months
    http://www.realestate.com.au/invest/3-bed-house-in-woodville+gardens,+sa+5012?tab=sold
    The charts in the back of this months API magazine however, show $368k which sounds more plausible. So my question is – is there a definite reliable source everyone uses to prevent the need for checking multiple places?
    Many thanks

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Hi @stevehank this is a common issue, it takes a while to get the feel of different data sources, some measure house vs unit, others only the total market, and still others by the bedroom. Personally I have a few paid data sources and I like to check them against each other, not that one is always correct, but the more source points I have the better picture I get. For example your suburb:

One data source had the house median at $370k at end of 2014, it has fallen a bit but on a very small sample so that could mean low stock and statistical anomaly or falling market with no buyers, all based on actual sales.

Another has Lower Quartile:$306k
    Suburb Median:$388k
    Upper Quartile:$424k
    but this one doesn’t differentiate between units and houses.

Another has a median list price (current for sale not sold) of 3 bedroom homes as at $355,500

Again, small sample size, low stock levels can mask median figures and make them very difficult so alone it isnt a magic number. I agree buying below median is a good way to reduce risk when investing but so is knowing your market. If you really know the area and your gut tells you that nothing is listing below a certain price and the market is strong then your median ballpark might be ok. Another way would be to cross check the medians of nearby larger suburbs because their data set is larger leading to better statistical validity. If you know that suburb x is 3 times bigger, and around the same price, then look that the median over there to check against your suburb.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Steve_HSteve_H
    Participant
    @stevehank

Thank you for your reply BuyersAgent that’s very helpful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.