All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Working out BASE COST for CGT after Renovations

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of balniksbalniks
    Participant
    @balniks

Hi guys,

Just a quick one on how to work out the base cost of a PPOR turned into IP. I believe i may have mucked up my tax return this year, as i’ve since read something i may have missed out on.

Purchase price plus fees etc was approx $160k, i sold for around $207 after deducting selling fees etc too. But i’ve since read that renovations can be added to lower the base cost? As my tax return stands now i owe about $5k. I was happy to pay that, but if i can get it down to nothing, then that would be good!

So i renovated when the place was my PPOR, then i rented it out and sold after. Can i add the reno’s onto the base cost? As per my Depreciation Schedule “Qualifying Capital Expenditure incurred on eligible capital works” residual value – was nearly $40k.

So if i understand, could this have been added to the cost base i worked out of approx $160,000? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

You need to get a value when the ex Ppor became income producing. That’s your new cost base. So that becomes your cost plus acquisition costs – legals, stamp duty plus selling costs.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of crj crj.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.