All Topics / Help Needed! / Calculations to find positive cashflow

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of curtis_07curtis_07
    Participant
    @curtis07

Hi everyone, I am currently looking into buying my first IP however am not confident enough with calculations to ensure the property will be positive cashflow.

I was wondering how people calculate this? For example how much do you allocate to maintenance,rates, agents fees. What other costs are there that need to be considered.

Without being accurate with these figures it woild be very easy to buy a property that I thought would be paotively geared when In fact it’s not.

Any information would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Hi Curtis,

Rental income, minus:

*interest (calculate at 105% of purchase price to establish the true cost of the property, as this will include financing costs of government charges)
    *council rates
    *water if applicable
    *insurance if applicable
    *strata if applicable
    *letting and management fees
    *maintenance

Depending on where the property is, the estimates will vary wildly. It’s best to become familiar with how much councils rates/water/insurance is within an area and use that as a rule of thumb etc. Always check strata costs and request the documents to see the current maintenance accounts + sinking fund to ensure there is enough capital to meet any future work required.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Hi Curtis, what you may want mate is a an investor to send you their excel spreadsheets that they use to work all this out.
    I made simple ones and actually picked up a book on financial planning when I started work, then created excel spreadsheets to measure my wealth which I’ve kind of done on a monthly basis ever since.
    Happy to send you mine.
    Around 2013 a mate and investor here Mike showed me his excel spreadsheets and it blew me away! His were so dynamic and advanced. Perhaps someone better than me could share theirs?

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Profile photo of curtis_07curtis_07
    Participant
    @curtis07

Thanks for the info. Adrian, if you could send me yours id be very great full. It will be a good starting point for me. My email is [email protected]. Thanks again

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.