All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice about buying an IP in Coomera

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of gauravgaurav
    Participant
    @gaurmit

Hi Guys
    I am a first time investor. I have been presented a house and land package for $465000 on a 489 m2 land in Coomera. It is close to shops, upcoming westfield, school, shops etc. I know Coomera has been touted as the next big thing for quite a few years now but hasn’t really picked up by that much. So needed advise if the above is a good price fro the location.

Regards

Profile photo of soupysoupy
    Participant
    @soupy

You can get something a little older there on bigger land, and probably more floor space for 400k or less, so where is the value in your deal? Look at recent sales history if you don’t believe me.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Gourav

Having lived in SE Qld for the last 20 years and have been a Buyers Agent for 13 years I would be very wary of investing in Coomera.

Small block (although that in its own is not an issue) and I bet you will find the property is more than likely being sold by a property marketing firm hence it is brand new !!!!.

Coomera has been marketed as the next big thing for over a decade or so and has gone no-where.

Rents have stagnated and the prospects of capital growth are limited.

Personally I can think of a number of areas where you can dip your toe in without having to go that far South.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    0-40 Properties in a decade. Ask me how.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Gaurav,
    As others have said, you can do way better. Do a Search for Coomera on here and you will find lots of words that will paint a rather dull picture. Here is one post as an example – scroll up/down to read more :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4405022-coomera-qld-investment-property/#post-4657842

I see Coomera as an areaa that will have its day – but probably in ten or more years time when any new developments are OFF the main Highway, and on even smaller blocks than they are today.

There is PLENTY of land at Coomera, so the major selling point is “These are NEW” (but you pay a premium to buy them). Buy older, where developers or marketeers have no involvement. You might buy a 20 year old home in good shape on a 800m2 block for a comparable price (all garages built, fenced, concrete in place, etc – and a settled area).

Benny

Profile photo of SiteManagerSiteManager
    Participant
    @sitemanager

@gaurmit,

Did you get the “tip” from Julio De Lafitte (JDL Strategies) or by any chance ?

Why not looking into UPPER COOMERA or ORMEAU, I’ve been suggested to focus the search for High Yield under $450k Investment Grade property from Todd Hunter (wHere proeprty group Buyers Agent).

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of SiteManager SiteManager.

SiteManager

Investing for a better future

Profile photo of gauravgaurav
    Participant
    @gaurmit

HI SiteManager
    It was touted as an area to invest by one of the so called INVESTMENT CONSULTANTS touring canberra. But anyway we have dropped the idea of buying in Coomera/Pimpama region and now foucing more on buying established property in Brisbane which I think holds better prospects for long-tem capital growth. But really lots of thanks to all of the people for taking out the time to post their views.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

It was touted as an area to invest by one of the so called INVESTMENT CONSULTANTS touring canberra

Hi Gaurav

Nice speaking with you this morning :-)

Those consultants are glorified real estate agents flogging overpriced off the plan properties for massive commissions. Steer clear.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @sitemanager

@gaurmit,

Cool, so yes you can’t go wrong investing within 15KM of the Brisbane CBD, but obviously the price has moved up month by month.

As for me it’s different, the Sydney buyers agent (Todd Hunter) told me that this is the next place for the Capital Gain increase for the next 5-10 years. To cut the story short, I wasn’t interested with the area hence he suddenly cancel the contract :-|

Not sure why as Buyers agent he only suggest me UPPER COOMERA and ORMEAU region.

I only paid for $50 for the report that he produced.

SiteManager

Participant
    @sitemanager

Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

@jacm, why not ?

THere is big mall development going on: http://www.coronis.com.au/blog/a-decade-of-planning-sees-coomera-flourish
    Now this area is growing fast for sure.

SiteManager

@benny

Hi SiteManager,
    The way you are talking it up, I am wondering if you HAVE bought there already? :p

So there finally is to be a big mall development? Cool – that may help with values down the track. As of right now (and for the last 15 years) all I have seen is agents pushing the area trying to get things happening. For sure, one day it will happen.

For my money though, buying new in a new development is paying top $$ so a developer and his marketing team can keep themselves in champagne. Especially as any “growth” is the uplift in value that each new stage brings is added BY THE DEVELOPER.

But take a look at the values of second hand housing in/around Coomera – that area may well contain some value (they were building there from 15 years ago, so some might now be For Sale). I haven’t looked, by the way – but THERE is where I would start if wanting to buy in the area.

Benny

Participant
    @sitemanager

Hi SiteManager, The way you are talking it up, I am wondering if you HAVE bought there already? :p
    So there finally is to be a big mall development? Cool – that may help with values down the track. As of right now (and for the last 15 years) all I have seen is agents pushing the area trying to get things happening. For sure, one day it will happen.
    For my money though, buying new in a new development is paying top $$ so a developer and his marketing team can keep themselves in champagne. Especially as any “growth” is the uplift in value that each new stage brings is added BY THE DEVELOPER.
    But take a look at the values of second hand housing in/around Coomera – that area may well contain some value (they were building there from 15 years ago, so some might now be For Sale). I haven’t looked, by the way – but THERE is where I would start if wanting to buy in the area.
    Benny

@benny,

I’m still looking around but according to the buyers agent professional advice service that I have engage (Todd Hunter wHere Property group), he suggest me to buy in UPPER COOMERA and ORMEAU for long term Capital Growth.

He showed me from the statistics on his website, he was able to predict one area in SEQ near Ipswich to be a good suburb before it went boom this year. Hence it is too late to buy there.

SiteManager

@benny

Hi SM,
    I have just twigged – this thread started with Guarav talking of House & Land packages in Coomera. These are what I was warning against.

On checking, I haven’t seen where you were talking H&L – so maybe your Buyers Agent was looking for existing rather than new – is he? And what about you? Are you also talking existing houses? If so, let’s start again….. ;)

Benny

Participant
    @sitemanager

Hi SM, I have just twigged – this thread started with Guarav talking of House & Land packages in Coomera. These are what I was warning against.
    On checking, I haven’t seen where you were talking H&L – so maybe your Buyers Agent was looking for existing rather than new – is he? And what about you? Are you also talking existing houses? If so, let’s start again….. ;)
    Benny

@benny,
    Yes my buyers agent always told me to get the existing house rather than the new one.

He mentioned that Upper Coomera is full of families (they recently built a massive new childcare centre so there is clearly a lot of children in the area)

Many new houses, lots of development, and a billion dollar shopping centre precinct (including an inland beach) about to be built.

SiteManager

@benny

OK, good to know you are looking for EXISTING properties.

From before then :-

But take a look at the values of second hand housing in/around Coomera

… and add Ormeau to that list. Ormeau indeed could be worthwhile as its developments started nearly 30 years ago. I always did like the area – back then, it was the place to buy new houses on larger blocks.

That means there could be some older houses for sale on large blocks that could be ripe for re-development (but note, I haven’t checked re local Council rulings in that regard). Ormeau is quite settled, though it hasn’t grown overly in the last 25 years either, with smallish shopping centres even today.

Room for growth? For sure. Will it? Hmmm, pass !! Worth a look though.

Benny

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

It was touted as an area to invest by one of the so called INVESTMENT CONSULTANTS touring canberra

Hi Gaurav
    Nice speaking with you this morning :-)
    Those consultants are glorified real estate agents flogging overpriced off the plan properties for massive commissions. Steer clear.
    Cheers
    Jamie

This is some very good advice.

In terms of the area historically it has been a gonna gonna for a long time, but the Westfield might finally turn it into a real growth area. I like the corridor from Bris to GC as a whole, first invested there 13 yrs ago, but due dilligence and finding value is the key.

A very quick pass shows established options cheaper if you want them – eg hypothetical something like this?
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-upper+coomera-121067138

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Participant
    @sitemanager

Hi GauravNice speaking with you this morning :-)Those consultants are glorified real estate agents flogging overpriced off the plan properties for massive commissions. Steer clear.CheersJamie

This is some very good advice.
    In terms of the area historically it has been a gonna gonna for a long time, but the Westfield might finally turn it into a real growth area. I like the corridor from Bris to GC as a whole, first invested there 13 yrs ago, but due dilligence and finding value is the key.
    A very quick pass shows established options cheaper if you want them – eg hypothetical something like this?http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-upper+coomera-121067138

yeah, that’s what my BuyersAgent told me, this area was long overdue for CG increase. I guess now is the time to buy here in COOMERA or ORMEAU.

SiteManager

@benny

Well, well, well !! After hearing on here about “Upper Coomera”, I went looking via Whereis.

I believe that name is a total misnomer. There is nothing “Upper” about it – in fact, it is what I know of as Coomera. It is on the West side of the M1, across the M1 from the original Coomera, which used to consist of 1 servo, 3 shops, and a pub about 30 years ago. Even today, there is not much more on the East, with most housing being on the West side of the M1 (in this so-called “upper” Coomera)

So what can I say – except to treat Upper Coomera and Coomera as one. And yes, “Upper” Coomera was heavily promoted back in the early years of the new Century, and a whole new suburb was built. Some places there would be 15 years old now, well established, and perhaps occupying desirable locations in this rather new suburb. Well worth a look if wanting to buy “existing houses”.

Benny

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Benny you have hit it on the head and one of the reasons we wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

It is amazing what a spin you can put on a suburb if you call it “Upper” or “Heights” etc.

In essence same old suburb which is on the wrong side of the highway now as it has been for the last 15 years ago.

Next thing these spruikers and certain Buyers Agents will be saying Studio Village is making a come back. I ask you.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    0-40 Properties in a decade. Ask me how.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@benny

OMG – yes, I had forgotten about Studio Village. Thanks for the reminder.

If you would though, Richard, do tell me why you see it as “on the wrong side of the highway”. I see this feeling all through Logan, with Eastern suburbs being preferred, and always wondered “Why?” Like, does being 1Km closer to the Pacific Ocean make a difference? :p

Or is there something else? Certainly, the West side does appear to be the “poor cousin” in my area (Logan) and I wonder what ACTUAL advantage an Eastern suburb would have over a Western one. Does that apply on the North side of Brissy too (i.e. with West being poor cousin up there too)?

Benny

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.