All Topics / General Property / Sharing news about bad tenants

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of JamesCJamesC
    Participant
    @jameschappie

I had a bad tenant and I don’t want him to get away with that kind of behaviour so easily. What can I do?

In short, he thought it was fine to leave without paying the balance, leaving me out of pocket $1,000. I couldn’t be bothered going through QCAT, as I was told its powers are limited in recovering money. Eventually, thanks to my excellent PM, he repaid the $1,000 outstanding rent (after other money was recovered from his bond). However, I want to forewarn other landlords of this idiot. If not TICA, which is also limtied, is there another forum or database into which I could record this experience? And if not, why not?

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

TICA and obviously they can’t use you as a reference thereafter – not much else other than that.

We all get rubbish tenants at times, right now I’ve had one which has caused circa 3k damage and lost rents to one of my properties – it happens. Sometimes you just need to cop it on the chin, it’s toxic to let it place a drag on you any further.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of JamesCJamesC
    Participant
    @jameschappie

Hi Corey, thanks for your feedback. While on the one hand I agree, I also do not think these people should get away with it so lightly. Is there any law preventing me from creating a database-driven website into which landlords might share input their experiences in a factual manner e.g. tenant name, lease type, dates, damage caused, costs of repair, lost rent etc.?

I have a vague recollection of TICA being changed on the grounds of human rights (bad tenants unable to find accommodation), thereby greatly limiting the information available. Fair enough, in some respects, as there were probably some opinionated and bitter landlords contributing to the site. However, if the likes of yourself, Corey, continue to be subjected to such awful tenants, then the existing system is broken.

The idea is not too dissimilar to one which I read about a little back. It was about a former Wallaby hoping to create a “Karma” website, a sort of “Trip Advisor for Humans” (link here). The Tenant Rating website could be a little similar.

So, the question is, is there anything preventing me from making public the wrong-doings of tenants?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.