All Topics / Value Adding / First time renovation questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of PaulPaul
    Participant
    @polony

Hi,

I have finally started adulting, bought my first flat ($310,000 at hopefully the bottom of the Perth market) and need to replace the Flooring and original 1987 kitchen.

I plan to live in it for a few years, then rent it, so need to make it suitable for renting.

However, I have the aesthetic skills of a male accountant, I’ve received lots of contrary advice, and I easily over-analyse. I am currently putting Blackbutt coloured laminate ( http://www.carpetcall.com.au/hard-flooring/pa3126-pa3126 ) in the 30 square metre Kitchen/Lounge/TV ground floor. New kitchen cabinets are gloss white with a matt laminate benchtop, and gloss white overhead cupboards.

I would be extremely grateful for assistance with the below to resolve contrary advice:

1) Is it a waste of $500 putting glass panels in overhead cupboard doors? Is this just a turn off for tenants that just creates more potential cleaning without any increase to the wow factor when seeking tenants?

2) If I have blackbutt laminate floors and gloss white cupboards, what is the best matt benchtop colour? I tend towards a gravel beige speckly pattern, but I have also been told to have a dark benchtop.

3) How frequently would a tenanted hotwater system, washing machine, dishwasher, sink, trough and associated plumbing flood, if they are maintained whenever the landlord is aware of problems? I have been told to have laminate flooring because vinyl tiles/planking would need over $1,000 of floor preparation, as the floor is not flat, but I am wary of having to rely on insurance.

4) If the flooring quote is plus whatever flooring preparation is required, which can only be seen once carpet is removed, is this just an opportunity to charge me whatever they think they can justify? How much should I expect floor preparation of 30 square metres of 1987 concrete to cost if I can see it is not flat without removing carpet?

5) If the kitchen is visible from the front door, is it overcapitalising spending $9,500 or 3% of property price ($5,000 cabinets, $3,180 appliances, $500 plumber, $500 electrician, $200 tiling splashback, $100 light fitting) on the kitchen?

6) Is it a waste of money buying anything but a cheap dishwasher because Perth (bore cocktail) water quality destroys Bosch dishwashers just as quickly as Dishlex dishwashers?

7) I have no idea what single sink with drainers, tap or cupboard handles to buy. I cannot tell the difference between a $130 304 grade 0.8mm single sink with drainer and a $300 sink with same specs. Is there any reason to spend more for the same steel? Which brand taps last longest with bore water?

8) If I am extremely grateful for answers, how should I pay/thank?

Thankyou,

Paul

Profile photo of David HallDavid Hall
    Participant
    @wiggles2

Hi Paul,

Looking from the outside your are over analysing. As a landlord, your role is to give the property maximum appeal for minimum $ and for every $1 that you spend to add $2-4 in capital appreciation.
    1) Fails capital appreciation rule. A neat clean tidy modern kitchen will generate enough wow.
    2) speak to a friend who is good with colour. If you don’t have one ring Amanda 0401 664 447 she does my colours and is fantastic.
    3) get stick down vinyl planks off e-bay. Bullet proof and about $18 per m2 and is easy DIY
    5) Very much so. PM and I will give you the contact of the supplier I use. My kitchens are 3-5k depending on size and bench tops.
    6) Unless it is a premium property install a cheap dishwasher. Tenants want a dishwasher, brand is less important. Hint I always take out the 5 year warranty. They usually die in year 4 and I get a free replacement.
    7) go to the Balcatta recycling centre, a perfectly good second hand sink is yours for $5-10. Always get a flick mixer, never taps (less maintenance) Don’t get the Bunnings $25 flick mixers, as they don’t last. Aim to spend $50-70 on one.

Talk to your accountant, but it may make more seance to undertake these repairs once the property is tenanted. Remember You must be adding more value than what you are spending.

David Hall | The Buyers Agency
    Email Me | Phone Me

Buyers Agent

Profile photo of DanbDanb
    Participant
    @hoffmand

Hi Paul, all good points from David Hall, I would add, to put tiles in the kitchen floor if you intend to rent it out eventually. Avoid the trendy glossy ceramics, they are an extreme slip hazard. Tiles are maintenance free and hard to damage, laminate boards need immediate cleaning and can be ruined by minor spills. Have also installed stick on vinyl timber into a unit kitchen before sale which I bought from Bunnings, it looked a million bucks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.