All Topics / Help Needed! / Pet Bond – How much to ask for?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Hi All, offering our IP as pet friendly to attract tenant in a softening Perth rental market. Not entirely sure how much to ask for as the pet bond. I recall Steve writing $100 in his early books. Wondering what others on the site request nowadays.
    Perhaps let me know how much additional rent you collect allowing for the pets too (+$10, +$20 per week?)
    Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of D.T.D.T.
    Participant
    @dtraeger

Hiya,

Luckily you’re in WA – this is the only state that allows a pet bond. The maximum you can charge is $260 on top of the standard 4 weeks rent.

You’re not allowed to charge / collect any additional rent though I’m afraid. Indirectly however, allowing for pets increases the size your prospective tenant base, thereby increasing supply and possibly allowing you to have a higher price than those don’t allow pets.

Given the current state of the Perth rental market (highest vacancy rate in 20 years), I think allowing pets is necessary to not rule any potential tenants out.

D.T. | DT Property Management
    http://www.dtproperty.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Adelaide Property Management - whole Adelaide metro

Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Thanks for the detailed reply DT. Great to know what I can charge for pet bond and to know that I can’t specifically bump up the rent for the pet. I have had quite a bit more interest in this property offering it as pet friendly than I did for my other (non pet friendly) property earlier this year!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.