All Topics / General Property / When "Just Do It" doesn't work so well…… (please add your thoughts)

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi all,
    I caught a comment recently from Richard Taylor where someone was about to “go applying for finance to a number of lenders”.

Richard’s comment was “Don’t do that – you will FRY your credit”. Put simply, too many applications on your credit file can be a negative, so don’t “just do it” without checking first.

Richard’s warning then had me wondering about the usefulness of a “Just Do It” attitude in property investing. Certainly, for motivational things, it can be useful – but if applied in an area where we know little, it can be akin to shooting ourselves in the foot.

A favourite phrase of mine is “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance”. A just-do-it approach must surely fall on the side of ignorance in many situations.

Please share any thoughts you have, where a “just do it” attitude can be costly in Investing.

Regards,
    Benny

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Bump !! Please help out newer investors who might have been bitten by the “Just Do It” bug.

Do you have a story to share where you (or someone else you know….) came off second best by being a bit too “Gung ho”? Moving too fast to be able to mitigate risk, confirm finance, or to complete due diligence, etc.

e.g. Did someone you know end up “buying at auction” without having had their finances pre-approved, only to find that they are struggling to complete as their finances were not as robust as they thought?

Thanks,
    Benny

@benny

Here is one that actually surprised me – as, on the surface, I figured it could have made a few more $$ per week for myself as a landlord. Why not?

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4999285-provide-internet-access-to-increase-rent/

Read it end-to-end yourself, and see how “Just Do It” could be a big mistake.

Benny

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I think the “just do it” mentality refers more so to not getting trapped into over anyalsying absolutely everything which ultimately leads to not taking any action at all.

Agree with not applying with lots of different lenders – that can wreak havoc on your file.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

As always, pragmatism is needed.

I do quite like the ideology behind the “Just do it” mentality – it’s unfortunate that I see so many people throughout life who hold themselves back from taking risks in their personal, professional and financial decisions which can improve their lives.

Perhaps it needs to be adjusted slightly to “Just do it… within reason!

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

@benny

Hi Corey,

Hmm, I kinda like that – I think I would qualify the statement in a different way though…..

“Just Do It – after taking counsel”

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Benny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.