All Topics / Value Adding / How much is a development site worth to you?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

Property value after subdivision?

How much should I pay for the development site is a question on many developers mind who may be doing a small three unit development or a dual occupancy where the existing house is retained.

The first step is to work out how many units can be built or get Council approval and the size of each unit. We can help you here.

Then let’s take a hypothetical 850 sqm Property in a local Council where the land is burdened by a schedule to the zone which requires very large open spaces and an overlay which requires vegetation to be preserved as well as 2 new canopy trees to be planted.

The property has several native trees over 5m in height which must be retained and new buildings to encroach a maximum 10% into the TPZ of these trees which requires an arborist’s input. These council requirements “eat” into the developable portion of the land.

The 13.5m front boundary faces north which is not ideal.

The develop’s objective is to demolish the existing house, which is in poor order and see how many units can be built.

Experience shows three units will be the maximum number which will garner this council’s support for this wedge shaped land in a court bowl.

Each unit will be around 150sqm containing 3 bedrooms. Ask us how many units can we fit on your land.

Recent sales in area show 3 bedroom units sold for $510,000. We are cautious so do our feasibility on a $480,000 selling price for each unit even though the front unit might command a slightly higher price.

Gross Income from sale of 3 units

$ 1,440,000

Development cost

20% developer’smargin $180,000
    Selling/legal fees say $45,000
    Building and soft cost $630,000
    Subdivision cost $45,000
    Others costs, say $30,000

Total development costs $930,000

Cost of property after a three lot subdivision is then $510,000 ($1,440,000 less $930,000)

We have not taken into consideration any contributionto be paid to council and holding costs.

Using this same formula you can work out how much is a dual occupancy site worth where you retain the existing house and build one new dual occupancy home in the backyard. Of course make sure you are allowed to subdivide the land into two lots as some Victorian Councils are or have put in place minimum lot sizes!

Allow for some renovations, contribution may not apply for two lot subdivisions and you may be satisfied with a smaller development margin.

Do you need more information on property subdivision and dual occupsncy costs for development in Melbourne?

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Nice post @planning. Are most of your pro clients still working on 20% margins? I ran numbers on an 11 villa site with 20% conservative for a client recently and he told me his mezzanine finance group knocked him back saying inadequate margin. It seems they want much closer to 30% to fund and I didnt know if that is just one funder being difficult right now or if the market is generally getting 1 – Greedy, 2 – Scared, 3 Something else…

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

I love the South Coast- from Stanwell Park all the way down! I guess the financier needs a high level of comfort for some developments but 20% is a reasonable margin in Melbourne. Thanks for reading my post.

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.