All Topics / General Property / Do I have any legal recourse when my agent incorrectly filled out the contract?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MichelleFlemingMichelleFleming
    Participant
    @michellefleming

Help…We purchased at auction (or thought we did) everything was signed, we paid the deposit then a week later were told by the vendors solicitor that the contract was void as it was not signed by the vendor correctly. It was an elderly couple and their daughter signed as power of attorney but apparently it was not done correctly. What can we do? Now nobody is talking, the lawyer won’t return my lawyers calls and I am left with no contract, the real estate obviously did not know what they were doing…who is at fault here and what can we do?

Profile photo of joeygbhjoeygbh
    Participant
    @joeygbh

How is the contract filled out incorrectly and why is this a real impediment? My sales contract from auction technically had the wrong address (same street adjoining suburb) and all it took was a couple of overwrites and initials on both our parts. My solicitor was on the ball and picked it up.

Let them sort out what’s needed and then contact your solicitor.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

I’m assuming the real issue here is that the contract is invalid and now they’re not wanting to sell to you.

Speak to your solicitor regarding this issue to see if there’s any recourse.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of DeanCollinsDeanCollins
    Participant
    @deancollins

Tell them to you intend to close and have instructed your solicitor to do so and if they fail to comply you’ll be seeking legal advice.

Probably hoping you are going to go away etc.

Be sure to update us with the outcome 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Remember Sellers also have a legal requirement to do everything with Time of the Essence especially at an Auction.

Get your Solicitors to put them on notice that you intend to settle on the due date and see what they say.

If your Solicitor is lacking a spine ditch him / her and get someone else on the job.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    0-40 properties in a decade. Ask me how.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes. You would be able to sue the agent and possibly the attorney and vendor.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.