All Topics / Help Needed! / Dual occupancy and sub division

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Suri007Suri007
    Participant
    @suri007

Hi,

I bought a property with a fairly large land in Croydon North, Vic.
    I want to develop two townhouses in the back and when that is done, demolish the existing house and build two more in the front.

A Project Management company has quoted me 100k (I could be wrong but I think that’s what their excel spreadsheet says) to manage the process of building the first lot of two townhouses in the back end-to-end.
    Then another 100k for the front two townhouses.

They say, the tree situation is a bit tricky and hence it may be difficult getting council approval. But there is a small tree situation. One tree is kind of in the middle and even if i can’t get it cut off, i’m thinking i may be able to design around it. The land is big enough.

I was hoping someone could direct me to someone who is familiar with the Maroondah council and can help me get to building permit stage fairly easily (and cheaper).

Don’t get me wrong. I love this company and how they work. But 100k is money I’d rather see in my pocket than someone else’s.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you
    :)

Profile photo of PetePete
    Participant
    @pjewitt

I’m certainly no expert in the area of property development but $100k just to manage the project sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Have you enquired with any building companies themselves? I know that here in Adelaide I see some of the larger project home builders even advertise on t.v that if you want to develop your property they can assist with every stage of the process. A one-stop-shop kind of thing.

This in itself could potentially save money in terms of holding costs. Having gone through the building process for my last investment property I learned that any holdup costs you money, because once the process begins, you’re paying out mortgage payments but no income coming in until the project finishes. I’d be calling a few project home builders that cover the whole development process and getting a few quotes for their project management side of things.

As an example, this is from the website of a builder here in Adelaide:

http://www.hickinbotham.com.au/page/content/sub_dividing

cheers
    Pete

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

A drafty friend of mine regularly project managers small developments and he charge 10k for a dual occ (ie get 1 new home approved out the back and build it) and up from there. He has done villa developments that might have cost 100k but that would be a lot of units. I would think 30-50k max for an all inclusive project fee for 4 houses and all approvals.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

100K is a huge bill! there wont be any profit left for you. Croydon is Yarra Ranges Council or are you in Maroondah. Each council has its own set of guidelines when it comes to approving a planning application for medium density. If the site has a veg overlay or a SLO you need to be mindful of trees. your site looks solveable. get a free opinion first before you jump in. I can help you there. Is it a GRZ or NRZ zone? I need the property address to help you

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of #Planning Permit #Planning Permit. Reason: typo

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Profile photo of neosleftahneosleftah
    Participant
    @neosleftah

It is interesting to hear your prices. I myself am entering a dual occupancy build with an architect at the moment. I have had a variety of quotes… One has been 10% of the build cost (i am looking to spend $500K per house) to manage and draw plans. I think this is rather expensive. The second architect has quoted $45K to get the plans done etc then a 2% management fee. My thoughts now are to have the architect develop the plans etc and then get the builder to manage the project until i get a hang of it… thoughts?

Participant
    @planning

My prices are not in the post. Its simply advising that writer that whoever is proposing to charge $100K is a high fee and I offered to do a site analysis first at no cost to ascertian what can be built on the writers property in Croydon , Victoria. so that he is on course.
    My town planning fees is fixed for design and management at Council. I will be pleased to let you know my fees which are way below the numbers you are mentioning and I know the process well having managed the design and approvals for over 250 properties from a dual occ to 10 units developments.I need the property address to work out what can be approved with the planning regs and Rescode at front of mind. Feel free to communicate direct.

Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Participant
    @planning

Another way of going about it is for the house plans being designed as a preliminary first, and get builder and building surveyor involved as early as practical best from post RFI stage.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.