All Topics / Value Adding / Bathroom Renovation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Ben86Ben86
    Participant
    @bbc86

Hi All,
    This is my first post so thanks in advance for reading!!

I’m in the process of planning a renovation on an IP 2bd unit in Cronulla (Sydney’s Sth East)
    With the view to release some equity for a further purchase.

My dilemma is, currently there is a shower over bath set up and unfortunately there isn’t going to be room to have both seperate.
    As far as tenants go, There is enough demand from young couples that have no need/use for the bath so I don’t believe it would be affected on that side of it.

From a bank valuers perspective do you think there would be any negative impact on not having a bath at all (just a good size shower) as opposed to keeping the shower/bath setup?

Thank you!!

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Ben,

From a bank valuers perspective do you think there would be any negative impact on not having a bath at all (just a good size shower) as opposed to keeping the shower/bath setup?

I can’t answer from a bank valuer’s perspective, but do consider that if you are renting to young couples and they choose to have a youngster, then not having a bath might have them choose to move out. OK while it is a bub and a baby bath is in use, but after that, having a bath is a common requirement with a young family.

Each change of tenants usually costs at least one week’s rent – try to keep good long-term tenants by providing all they need (and even all they don’t need yet, but will in the future).

It may be less disruptive for you to keep a shower/bath (and of course, I would be interested to hear any opposing views too – particularly from ladies, in case I have it wrong…..) :o

Benny

Profile photo of ChristianChristian
    Participant
    @christian-markgraaffgmail-com

Hi Ben,

I agree with Benny, with the correct fit-out selection and clever design a shower/bath combination can look awesome and give you more bathroom functionality. From a bank valuation point of view, I don’t believe there will be much difference but from a buyers perspective it will, added to that it will appeal to a wider buyer range.
    As an example, most buyers would not see a well designed bathroom with bath/shower combination as a negative but there will be a large percentage of buyers that would perceive the lack of a bath as negative.
    The perceived value is what increases property value which is why kitchens and bathrooms are the best value adding items whereas new plumbing and electrical wiring add no value.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Christian Christian.
    Profile photo of Ben86Ben86
    Participant
    @bbc86

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your advice. I agree, defiantly valid points. At this stage it looks as though the bath is staying!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.