All Topics / Creative Investing / sub-division and developing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of stama90stama90
    Participant
    @stama90

Hi Guys,

I am a town planner from Adelaide and have noticed an increasing trend of people wanting to buy and sub-divide properties. I have noticed it now varies from developers as well as the average Joe wanting to develop, whereas in previous years it was mainly just developers. I work in a desirable council area in Adelaide and the competition to buy a subdividable property is quite fierce. I am curious to know whether this is just an increasing trend in South Australia or are other states seeing the same thing occur?

Any comments to build a discussion would be great

Thanks

Alex

• This topic was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of stama90 stama90.
    Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Planning policy is pushing for infill to support the growing population in SA, instead of greenfield releases.

With the current councils largely being resistant to broadscale townhouse/apartment development, standard subdivision with villas is the most common option AND simplest – so very easy for the average person to take on.

This low barrier of entry has made the prices push dramatically, even if it means the end subdivision is a loss maker.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of stama90stama90
    Participant
    @stama90

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the response. Infill is definitely the way for the future particular in SA given it is restricted by the hills and the sea. The minimum allotment sizes and frontages where I am employed have not changed for over 10 years however I think people are grasping onto the fact that a quick profit can be made through developing/subdividing if done with due diligence. Also given we have an aging population residents that sit on large blocks cannot maintain large backyards anymore and have the ability to down size through sub-division of their land. I have heard many stories of “mum and dad’ developers loosing money from a development project and other people will take a loss just to live in a desirable area.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Gday
    Yes I can confirm this trend is occurring in NSW also and out from Sydney into better quality regional areas, Wollongong and the south coast.
    Matt

Hi Guys,

I am a town planner from Adelaide and have noticed an increasing trend of people wanting to buy and sub-divide properties. I have noticed it now varies from developers as well as the average Joe wanting to develop, whereas in previous years it was mainly just developers. I work in a desirable council area in Adelaide and the competition to buy a subdividable property is quite fierce. I am curious to know whether this is just an increasing trend in South Australia or are other states seeing the same thing occur?

Any comments to build a discussion would be great

Thanks

Alex

<i class=”rw-ui-like-icon”></i>0<i class=”rw-ui-dislike-icon”></i>0

<i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-outer-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.498039);”></i><i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-inner-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”></i>Rate this

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

The same is happening in Victoria and NSW where property prices are driving young and old people to move into compact dwellings in well established areas.Another trend is retirees or about to retire persons subdividing to create an additional income stream from a dual occupancy.This is an exciting development which requires professional care and help to assist these people as a mistake can spell real problems. I know of a lady about to retire who subdivided her block in Victoria. She was unable to register for title as she ran out of funds to put in the services as required in the Permit. a builder seized on tgis opportunity. He put in the services- took the cost off the sale price and is nw building the rear unit. Both parties came out on top and I was extremely pleased to have helped the subdivion to occur- was challenging as the local council put up some resistance which i resolved through common sense.

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.