All Topics / General Property / Any renovators out there?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of VernSVernS
    Participant
    @verns

I just bought a property which is officially my PPR – I am renovating to build equity and I want to replace the front windows.
    There are 7 windows in the front 950x 2.2m which are ugly – what’s the best thing to replace them with to build value?

Sashless windows? Or knock the walls out in between and put in byfolds? (at least the ones in the lounge) Other suggestions?

It’s an 80’s house and looking dated – I just want the cheapest way to make it look more modern.

Any ideas appreciated :)

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Vern

The simple response is “whatever adds the most value to the buyers IN YOUR AREA”. Chat to a few real estate agents and ask them to ponder the question of the likely sale value of your house as it is, compared to if you changed the windows. Pose a few scenarios and ask them which will offer the biggest resale difference in terms of $$. Also chat to them about which of the options would facilitate the fastest sale, because that is an aspect that will interest them greatly. Quick turnover.

Perhaps you could spend $1000 to make the place look more modern, and add $2000 of value
    or
    Perhaps you could spend $5000 to make the place look more modern, and add $50,000 of value.

If you are selling your property, your aim is NOT to make the place look more modern. It is to get the most profit. That’s all. To get the most profit. Ideally which appeals to a big market and thus a swift sale.

If the market in your area likes pretty orange windows, but the profit margin is best just leaving them as they are, then you would do that.
    If the market in your area is only interested in houses that have windows that look like they are Swiss, then you’d do that.
    If the market in your area only wants sash windows, then you’d do that.
    If the market in your area likes a few different styles, but one smashes it out of the ballpark in terms of profit, then you’d do that.

You are not there to make someone’s day with pretty windows. You are there to make profit. That’s the cold hard facts of it. So you simply ask the selling agents what the likely resale value would be with different kinds of windows and work your profit out from that. Remember the highest resale does not necessarily mean highest profit, because the highest resale price might have had an enormous renovation bill that eroded profits.

You cannot ask the agent what will make the most profit, just what will be the highest resale. It is up to you to work out profit. The complexity comes in when you ponder that just changing the windows might not cut it. You might for eg need to render the frontage to change the look of the whole facade.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of VernSVernS
    Participant
    @verns

Thanks Jacqui,

At this stage we want to stay in this house (at least for a while) the main objective is to increase the value of the house as far as the bank valuation is concerned so we can use any added equity we create to invest elsewhere. Banks probably have a slightly different perspective than local agents – but I like your idea:

Also chat to them about which of the options would facilitate the fastest sale, because that is an aspect that will interest them greatly.

That way we can build evidence to present to the banks to convince them it’s worth … well, as much as possible.

Cheers

V

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Vern

Yes, however a valuer will value your house based on “comparible properties”. So he/she will compare your house to other properties that are in a similar condition, have a similar aesthetic, and a similar location. So if you want the valuer to put a high figure on your property, you want to make your property “similar to” the ones that are selling for higher prices. The real estate agents will be able to comment on how to make your home look like the ones selling for higher prices.

You probably don’t want to tell the real estate agent you have no intention of selling because he/she will rightfully see they are wasting their time helping you with a valuation. Unless you find a friendly one that understands you aim to release equity and you then use that to buy an investment property in the area, and hope to buy from that particular real estate agent. Then he/she would see merit in spending time on you.

Hope all that makes sense.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Jacqui has touched on an important point – it’s EXTREMELY important to find comparables to base your renovation works before starting – otherwise you can leave yourself open to overcapitalising, undercapitalising, misreading market demands etc.

As always the biggest profitability is in finding market distortions and taking advantage of them as much as possible – you can only achieve this by understanding what the market values particular quality levels at.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of VernSVernS
    Participant
    @verns

Thanks to all who chipped in on this. I actually got some really clarity around looking for comparables and finding comparables that are selling for the most money – sweet tip…

In the end after a few discussions with some smart investors and our friendly architect/subdivision expert we have decided to know the sucker down, subdivide x3 and use the uplift from two extra houses (to be sold to finance the build of our place which will be brand new and still on it’s own title.
    We stand to get rid of the backyard which was a lot of work for very little reward, get a new house which we design to our specs and take a substantial chunk from our loan / create a bunch of equity for use in other projects…

But I still really appreciate your help… I’ll take that knowledge into the next projects :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.