All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice needed for first investment in Melbourne.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of AudscoAudsco
    Participant
    @audsco

Hi everyone.

I am a current home owner and am looking to make my first property investment.

It was my hope/dream that I could buy something which I could sub-divide in the future and step from investor to developer! However, it has come to my attention that my budget (450k) is restricting me from turning this dream into a reality. I live in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne and am looking for a wise investment option.

It seems that everywhere I turn – I am hearing different advice. “Townhouses off the plan vs sub-dividable land vs apartments vs Mill Park vs Reservoir vs Mooroolbark.” I am so confused as to where I can find the most reliable source of advice without having to pay a fortune for it!

I am wishing that I only knew someone who had actually “been there, done that” so that I could have a mentor who I could trust.
    So – wondering if there is anyone out there who can provide me with some advice, a point in the right direction and some mentoring?

Many thanks!!

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Be careful with the many ‘property mentors’ about, many are just Off The Plan sales shills who are doshing out low quality overpriced stock for developer payments.

If you feel like a professional assistance is required to start building your portfolio – it may be worth engaging the services of a buyers agent. They can be worth their weight alongside the rest of an effective property team (brokers, solicitor/conveyancer, accountant, property manager etc)

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of JustinJustin
    Participant
    @justin2015

hi there, what sort of mentoring do you want? Building an investment portfolio, or developing? <moderator – delete advertising>

If you want to build an investment portfolio you should ask around and talk with people until you find someone you gel with and trust. But make sure it is someone who has a track record of achievement and not just selling a course of a method they have not used, or used 20 years ago.

Good luck.

Profile photo of AudscoAudsco
    Participant
    @audsco

Thanks for the advice Corey and Justin.

I am wary of people/services who are just out to make a $ rather than providing any genuine advice. I am looking to connect with someone that has experience in this field.

As far as investment/developing goes. It is my long term plan to move in to developing, however I don’t believe that my current budget will allow me that achievement just yet, so investment is probably the way I will go to start with.

I might try and connect with some buyers agents in the area and see if they can be of any assistance.

Cheers,

Tanelle.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Be wary of folks that have only one post to their name on the forums, and they pop a link in the post directing you to a paid service ;)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hi there –

Welcome to the forum and I hope you can learn alot here before you take your first step to success.

I offer a mentoring service…. (nah only kidding – refer above for warnings)

Re mentoring – you just need someone to point you in the right direction – if you are in the SE you could look at certain suburbs that can provide growth for you. Perhaps something to buy now and develop later (Noble PArk/ Springvale) – or even our Ringwood way.

For a first time investor – would not recommend Off the plan apartments – too much risk. I love a town house, but in this hot market you need to choose the right suburb to provide a mix of capital growth and yield. Growth will be impacted by a number of factors including schools, infrastructure, capital upgrades, proximity to trains/ freeways. Would not recommend house and land for you.

First step – determine your strategy and borrowing power and take the excitement further with your first investment property.

Hope that helps!

To success, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Participant
    @audsco

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your advice. It was very inspiring and clear. You certainly confirmed some suspicions which I already had re: town houses etc. Ringwood, Kilsyth, Croydon, Mooroolbark, Springvale and Noble Park are areas which we have been looking in – but in this market, even those areas are selling sub-dividable properties well out of our reach. The properties are being advertised within our price range (450k) but are selling way out of it!

Cheers,

Tanelle.

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hi Tanelle,

Awesome it helped.

I have bought two development sites in the last 12 months in Noble Park – one within 500 m of Noble Park Station for $750 plus which will include 7 townhouses and another which we just had plans and permits approved for 5 t/h. I can tell you the obstacles are greater now than they used to be. Everyone will know that I love Noble Park (as an investment). You can get a 3bd townhouse in Noble Park/ Springvale sub $400k easy.

Ringwood is out of control – the chinese are heavily invested in development sites where 700sqm lots are going for $900k plus. Would not touch it.

Go a townhouse in the area for your price range – achieve rent for 4.75%+ and smell the roses. Capital growth has been strong due to the capital upgrades on the Dandenong train line ($2.5b) and Dandenong is also running hot.

To success, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Khanh Long
    Participant
    @khanh-long

uh how about Tarneit with new train station and shop?

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

Tarneit and those nearby areas are experiencing growth but also oversupply of land. Find a house you can subdivide close to transport, schools and shops. After planning approval do the mandatory works to get a title for the lot and flick it. Do one every two years and you could have some real cash in the bank. Or build the dual or triple occ and get two rental incomes instead of one and be cash positive. A townhouse or unit off the plan will take a while to see growth- unless its in the hot areas. The developer has taken his profit out and you have to wait. A recent study by RP Data ( I think) showed unit buyers in Melbourne were worse off as the growth was poor. Buy a home- it will appreciate. And find one you can subdivide and build one or more in the back, If the home is in good condition keep it as banks feel secure and then build behind. Getting approvals take tine and finding a good site which ticks the planning reg boxes is a skill.A good site analyst who delivers a permit is worth getting to know.

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Participant
    @audsco

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.