All Topics / Help Needed! / Starting off in Real Estate in QLD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of PoePoe
    Participant
    @poe

G’day,
    I have a cousin who is a totally amazing person. She has recovered from a bad situation which left her homeless a year ago as well as have have a remission in her illness and has pretty much re-built her life back. She is doing casual clerical/admin work where she can but has an interest in the real estate field.

From my limited understanding, she would need a Real Estate Certificate of Registration to start off in this industry in QLD. I am trying to help her where I can. I have found that the certificate can be gotten in 2 days at http://reaa.com.au/courses/ which is much quicker than the 6 days I have seen elsewhere.

For those in the know, is going into the Real Estate industry from pretty much a starting position a good career move? Are there actually any long term future prospects in the Brisbane real estate industry? Also, is the vendor the 2 day course mentioned above known to you? How can she best get into the industry would be helpful as well.

Thanks in Advance,
    Poe

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Poe

Irrespective of how many days the course is squeezed into, there will still be assignments to be completed.

The path of least resistance to get her up and running would be to look for a role in Administration or Reception with a real estate firm, or to look at junior Property Manager roles. The reason I say this is because these tend to be roles that are fixed-salary which would probably suit her better given her traumatic times recently. Sales roles tend to have some or all of the wages in commissions, and as such are dependent on how successful you are at selling. An unpredictable income like this might be unsuitable for her at the present time.

Her clerical skills will be relevant to the roles I have mentioned so she’s part of the way there already :)

From there, experience can be gained and further qualifications considered.

I suspect you are focussing on the 2 day course because she wants to minimise the number of days she has to take off paid employment in order to attend the course. In this regard, doing the course online or via distance education (With course manuals or a cd of pdfs) might be more suitable. Then she can chip away at it with her spare time, as fast or slow as she likes.
    http://www.reiq.com/courses-training/registration-course-property-manager

Hope this helps.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of PoePoe
    Participant
    @poe

Thanks,
    Appreciate the great information. What you say makes a lot of sense. I had a look at the Junior Property Manager roles being advertised – all of them want experience though. Looking further, the Assistant Property Manager role looks to be another good starting point.

I was looking at the 2-day course as it was in a class and as you surmised, less time off from work she can get. She does not have a computer so it did appear to be the right option.

Thanks again

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

She is still going to have to do assignments afterwards so access to a computer would be helpful if doing the course via distance ed on CDs, but they do offer printed course manuals instead, so that would probably be the best option for her.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.